Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

M3

Andrew

Had a few decent nights in the last 10 days so managed to get out a bit. It's the first chance I've had to try out my new(ish) scope on some globulars. Over the last few nights I've spent a while looking at M53, M3 and M13. It's amazing what a difference some aperture can make - M13 was spectacular - almost 3D :)

Below is a sketch of M3 made last week. Not quite as impressive as M13, but still more stars resolved than I can draw.

image.jpg

Had to av another look. S'a real sense of depth round the outside edges of the core. Looks very Jewell like too as is only fitting for a fine glob as M3 8)

Really like it. S'a great represetation. Lookin forward to gettin back out so's I can see it with m'own one eye :)

You done M13 this year Andrew? Bit early yet I spose.

Haven't sketched M13 yet but I took a look at it one night last week when I stayed out longer than expected. I'd spent most of my time in Coma Berenices and was just thinking it might be time to call it a night when I realised I could Cygnus! Once I realised what was now in the sky I couldn't help having a look around at few things including M13. At about x300 it was pretty spectacular with real depth and texture. It was tempting to have a go at sketching it, but by then (3:30 ish) it was getting a bit late to start :)

Archived