Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

New 300 Flex tube owner

I picked up my new Skywatcher 300p Flextube this afternoon ;), I've been like an eight year waiting for christmas :BangHead:.

Collimation is a bit out, will sort that when excitement has died down abit.

Well here it is :

SDC11125.jpg

SDC11124.jpg

• Replies 25
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The screwdiver is OK but there was no allen key to fit the secondary mirror adjusters and the the spanners didn't actually fit anything.

I'm glad the solid tube wasn't available now ! It's a bit of a monster.

Congrats on the new scope - you are now entitled to a free lifetime membership of the "Dob Users" social group lol :BangHead:

(Click link in my signature)

I really must pay a visit again ;)

Thanks for the comments guys, I was lucky enough to give the scope it's first light last night. I couldn't stay up late and it was a little cloudy early on, my father annoyed me this morning by saying it was lovely and clear at 2am.

The finderscope took a little getting used to after using a straight thru 6x30. No worries about polar alligning though, just point and look !

The only objects I got a look at where the ring nebula and M13.

M13 was particulary spectacular even with some high cloud passing occasionally. It might as well have been a totally different object to what I can see in the 150p. Where the 150p shows a bight grey smudge surrounded by stars the 300 showed a complete mass of individual stars - fantastic.

I'm now looking forward to many nights ahead with the 300p. I'll put my application into the Dob user group now !

M13 really comes alive in a 12inch. Were you observing from your back garden and were you decently dark adapted? At a dark site with full dark adaption I think it looks like diamond dust sprinkled on the FOV. Beautiful!

Fabulous scope but be careful your west highland terrier with all the brown mud on his coat doesn't rub up against it and cover it in mud. :BangHead:

M13 really comes alive in a 12inch. Were you observing from your back garden and were you decently dark adapted? At a dark site with full dark adaption I think it looks like diamond dust sprinkled on the FOV. Beautiful!

Fabulous scope but be careful your west highland terrier with all the brown mud on his coat doesn't rub up against it and cover it in mud. :BangHead:

I didn't get a proper observing session but I just had to give it a go, just to make sure everything worked OK. Hoping for a better session tonight but first impressions are very good.

The dog is a Cairn Terrier, we took in as it's owners couldn't look after him. He did have a go at 'christening' the mount when I got it outside but luckily his aim isn't very good.

can any of the 300 owners comment on the quality of the azimuth bearing on these? it's different to the 200/250 version, right? the main thing i'm not mad about on my 200 is the azimuth is a bit sticky.

I know this isn't the 300p but if you scroll down there's a picture of the azimuth bearing which is similar to the Skywatcher one.

GSO Dobson 980 - 300/1500mm Teleskop - Deluxe Version

It's sandwiched between two thin steel disks which fits in the base. A gentle push will have it do a 360 turn, but stays in position whilst veiwing until given a little nudge, which is what you want.

thanks for that. i need to convince myself not to get a 300 now. or maybe i should do something to sort out the 200.

Have a search on Lazy Susan bearings, maybe the way to go

Archived