NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

Advice please on this model

skywatcher explorer 200P EQ5

Is this model a good starter for me, just in price range. So somebody can hopefully explain good points and bad points, the Specs are:

Magnifications with supplied eyepieces (and barlow) x40 (x80) x100 (x200)

Highest Practical Power (Potential): x400

Diameter of Primary Mirror: 200mm

Telescope Focal Length: 1000mm (f/5)

Eyepiece Supplied (1.25"): 10mm & 25mm

2x Deluxe barlow

Dual-Fit 1.25"/2" Crayford Focuser

Parabolic Primary Mirror

0.5mm Ultra-Thin Secondary Mirror Supports

9x50 Finderscope

Direct SLR Camera Connection

EQ5 Deluxe Heavy-Duty Equatorial Mount

Includes Polar Alignment Scope

1.5" Stainless Steel Pipe Tripod with Accessory Tray

77% more Light Gathering than 150mm

thank you.

It is a good starter scope and will also hold good second hand value.

the 200 is the most popular size scope as its not to large and has plenty of aperture for your money.

The EQ5 is good for visual observing. but in the future if you wish to look into imaging the HEQ5 is really the starting point for a scope of this size and weight.

You will need to understand collimation (alignment of the mirrors) and have the relevant toys to assist in doing so.

Great starting scope!

Hi.

Yes the 200P is a good scope.

Then I'm biassed as I have one!

Whether it is the right scope for you depends on what you want to do with it.

If you tell us a little about what you hope to see and how you would like to use it, you will gets lots of suggestions.

Purely visual? Photo? Will you have to carry to a dark site? Negotiate lots of stairs?

David.

Hi, would like a close look at the moon, see the planets, not expecting glossy book images, would love to get involved into image capturing but dont want to run before walking as i am a complete novice who is trying to do his research before buying. Would like to look at some deep sky objects to find my way around and learn the sky.

hi there

I agree that the 8" newtonian is a great scope to start with and will serve you well for many years, maybe forever.

if you want to get into astro photography this is a whole new ball game and can run to a high cost but the EQ5 might be OK with a small refractor if you bought tracking motors/guide scope etc.

assuming you don't and it's purely visual then I'd recommend a dobsonian First Light Optics - Skywatcher Skyliner 200P Dobsonian

this will leave you some funds for extras like a Telrad, maybe a right angled finder or another eyepiece/barlow too.

you can also observe more easily on a stool with a dobsonian and if you have children the eyepiece is more accessible to them too.

my advice would be go and have a look at Stockport binocular and telescope centre as this will give you an idea of the size of the scopes mentioned - they normally keep good stock I seem to recall. they may even do you a deal although the internet is a powerful search tool of course!

The 200P on EQ5 is a great starter kit that will do everything you mention (moon, planets, dso's) but it may vibrate a little if it's windy so long exposure imaging would be frustrating. As mentioned above you'd really want an HEQ5 to stand a good chance at snapping dso's :BangHead:

I have the 200P on a CG5-GT and the vibration even with a DS focuser can be a distracting pain in the butt not to mention the ridiculous places the focuser can end up at times. 200p on a EQ5 yes it's OK but I totally agree with Shane if it is intended for visual only you'd be much better off with a dob as a rocker box offer way moor stability.

I would like to get into imaging but obviously once i have learned more, so for future proof purposes which one? thanks

Depends what kind of imaging you would go into. Lunar & Planetary imaging (short exposure) does not require a EQ mount so the auto tracking alt/az dobsonians are very good. First Light Optics - Skywatcher Skyliner 200P FlexTube AUTO

If its deep sky imaging (long exposure) then you will need a EQ mount.

Have you any experience of using a telescope?

HI yes this will make a good starter scope buy a cheshire as well will be good for all sorts of stuff go for it :BangHead: also will be good for web camimg planets and some dso and i can say that from experience youtube todd8137 and check some of my vidoes when ya get a minute

If you have aspirations to get into imaging then definately go for the EQ5 ... but if I were you the HEQ5...this defiantely future proofs your investment.

Steve

:BangHead: Don't you mean........." If you have aspirations to get into imaging then definately go for the HEQ5 ... but if I were you the HEQ6...this defiantely future proofs your investment."

I looked at the 200pds and eq6 but settled on the 300px dob.

I realised I wanted to be able to set up quickly and get obesrving, something the dob is great at.

Photography for me was not an issue so that made the decision even easier.

As mentioned the eyepiece with an eq mount can get into some silly positions and you end up turning the tube in its rings.

The 200 is a great scope however, good luck with your decision

Hi Space cowboy, no i do not have experience with telescopes and i know i have a lot to learn but if im spending the money i just want to be future proofed for as long as possible and a scope that offers flexibility incase i would like to take some pictures etc the moon would blow me away if i take anything like what ive seen by others but minute captures of saturns rings or a cluster would fill me with pride! cheers

imaging is so often a red herring as it's really a completely different ball game to observing. you can take quick snaps of the moon and brighter planets with a dob, especially one with tracking.

in general no scope can do it all, but an 8" dob is a great visual all rounder.

many people have more than one scope (I have two and plans for a third in the future) and that's just for visual use.

I don't buy this whole "run before you can walk" lark when it comes to imaging.

If you wan't to do it then just do it! From what I've read and what little I've done it doesn't seem that hard, just hard enough. Just as long as you've got the cash of-course :-)

If you're comfortable with technology, computers, editing photos, and have half a brain then it really isn't that big of a deal.

People say things like "oh you must learn the skies first" and such things but I don't buy it. Just jump right in! It's awesome. With a goto scope you can quickly go to anything and you'll learn the skies in the process of doing it. I'm speaking for myself ofcourse, but I only bought & used a telescope for the first time last month and I find astrophotography is one of the more exciting aspects of it.

Maybe I'm just impatient :-)

The only reason I can see for not jumping right in is that you might not like it and waste money in the process.

Maybe I'm just impatient :-)

The only reason I can see for not jumping right in is that you might not like it and waste money in the process.

im the same :BangHead:

and yea i suppose peopel say that you can end up spending money you didnt need to - but from what ive seen alsmot everythign holds its value well in astronomy providing you look after it - so even if you brought some egar u didnt need, you could sell it ;)

"The only reason I can see for not jumping right in is that you might not like it and waste money in the process"

I think this is the whole point. If you have money to burn then dive in straight away by all means. But for most people it's a big investment on limited budgets and perhaps not so familiar with technology, so the advice is tempered to suggest a "progressive" approach is perhaps more appropriate.

However, one chap came along with £5000 to spend straight off on his first setup - so of course he got the advice to match lol :BangHead:

Archived