Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Hi from God's Own County

studio1one

• Replies 46
  • Created
  • Last Reply

You don't say where in "god's own" country. I spent some years working up there on the NY Moors occasionally being snowed in. So, not so sure about the "god's" bit. You may guess where.

Sorry to hear about your scope. The HEQ5 can handle up to 8" newt but if you throw on guider scope, cameras and the rest you may need to consider the EQ6 which'll handle 10"+

Others here can be more specific then this southern old git

Give me the no neighbours first then the no street lights.

Apologies - I was wrapped up in reflectors. I guess fracs depend on the budget and what you want to do. Having had a SCT some years ago I decided to go for astrophotography where light buckets tend to be contrary to this - hence my WO80II DDG. The other advantage is that I can hang about indoors during the imaging session rather than getting frozen.

If budget wasn't a prob for me, I would really go for a true 6" APO. Always fancied one since I first saw the meade 5" & 7" some years ago.

Dream on.

You don't say where in "god's own" country. I spent some years working up there on the NY Moors occasionally being snowed in. So, not so sure about the "god's" bit. You may guess where.

Sorry to hear about your scope. The HEQ5 can handle up to 8" newt but if you throw on guider scope, cameras and the rest you may need to consider the EQ6 which'll handle 10"+

Others here can be more specific then this southern old git

I'm just looking around for a replacement at the minute. I may well go back to a Newt or I may go for an APO, although my wife will take some convincing it is necessary to spend the money on an ED APO. To be honest I am not a massive imager, I just like to sit out on an evening and wonder at the universe. I quite fancy an Orion Newt I think.

Studio1One, your tale of the destruction of you OTA in a North of England winter gale brought a smile to my face with my memory of a camping trip to the high desert with my four year old son in search of dark skies. The night was crystal, inky-black with millions of diamonds above, and calm, (at first). But before I could get the scope set up, the wind came up and ripped my tent to shreds and nearly blew my boy to Japan! The force of nature was so savage that night that we could not stay in the car, and drove home several hundred miles, exhausted when we arrived, but with the scope intact.

As I said earlier I spent 5 years on the wild and woolly and snowy North Yorkshire Moors. One journey home obliged me and a couple of dozen others to abandon ship and spend the night in the Saltersgate Inn. That was tough.

• 2 weeks later...

Archived