Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

What would I be able to see through 150p?

I am soon buying a skywatcher skyliner 150p ("6) dobsonian. I just came to ask what would be the limits I could see with the scope in terms of detail and magnification i know it goes up to 304x but this would be stretching too far(250-280)x possible as a max. Would I be able to see the cassini division on saturn or the ice cap on mars? I dont accept massive detail but would these be possible on good sky conditions. I am also wondering if I could see the andromeda galaxy, or other dso's would be possible. what dso's do you recomend i look at?

I am also going to ask you what things i should look at or buy when i buy the scope, books or charts to locate around the sky finding certain planets,stars etc. any good barlows,eyepieces I should look at to buy with the scope. Any help appreciated :):icon_salut:

• Replies 35
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I was using mine on goto and couldn't work out why I couldn't detect Andromeda until I realised it was magnified so massive that I was looking at it's core! Dropped to a 24mm and there it was.

I've not seen the Martian ice caps yet but Cassini division, the Great Red Spot, found loads of DSO's and all using the comparitively duff eyepieces that come with the telescope.

I have the short f/5 version of the 150P and from my garden I have not been able to get good sharp views at much above 150x. Occasionally 170x but never more than that. I have not managed to make out the Cassini division with the Explorer 150P, but have seen it with my 127mm refractor when the seeing was good. The longer Skyliner 150P Dob is closer in focal length to that scope so I would not be surprised if you could see it.

The Andromeda galaxy is very large and diffuse. You will see it no problem, but it doesn't look like much. M81 and M82 are much better if you like galaxies. M3, M5 and M13 are wonderful globular clusters that will look great in your scope. You will be able to see M57, the ring nebula and M27, the dumbbell nebula.

When the moon is out getting in the way of DSO observing take a look at that too. The details visible in the craters with a 6" scope will blow your mind. Photographs don't come close to seeing the moon through a scope.

I got the exact same scope yesterday its a lovely bit of kit haven't had chance to use it yet but I can't wait to get started:)

I bought a planisphere a while ago its a laminated cardboard dial thingy that will tell you when and where everything will be,I also bought a moon map which I found really cool trying to spot the different locations on the map on my old scope congrats on the new scope I hope you are as impressed with it as I am with mine clear skies. John(still a newbie)

I have seen all the objects you mention and more with my 6" dob, although it's a longer focal length at f11.

perhaps the focal length does make a big difference but I see Cassini every time I look at Saturn and would expect you to be able to see them although it's way past its best for this year now so maybe not this time round depending when your scope arrives.

Jupiter should show the red spot and banding (plus moons) and you will see dark patches and ice caps on Mars. You will also be able to see Venus, Mercury, Uranus and possibly Neptune with your scope.

With regard to galaxies, look at the sketches section for examples of what sort of thing you'll see as it will not be like the photos.

if I were you I'd not buy other eyepieces yet, but a Telrad would make finding things a lot easier.

thanks all with the things you are mentioning, I am so pleased and cannot wait untill i get the scope hopefully in the next few weeks. I cannot wait to see the things you express especially being able to see the red spot on jupiter, cassini division and the polar cap on mars which is what i really wanted to be able to see. I also can't wait to see various clusters, and galaxies.Thankyou all!

Hi Tyler - I started with the 150P on EQ3-2 mount - smashing scope to start with and not too much outlay if you don't get on with it, they usually sell on well.

Most newbies start thinking about magnification - but you have to bear in mind that when you magnify something you also magnify the earths astmospheric turbulence. Many become disappointed.

Don't go higher than 200x - that's about the highest useable power you'll get in the UK - better moments do happen but few and far between. The "seeing" makes a big difference and "collimation" of the scope is key. Scopes need to cool down too especially if kept indoors in the warm - and beware of dew forming.

Magnification = focal length / eyepeice size (usually in mm). But eyepeice quality will make a huge difference - supplied ep's tend to be basic at best but useful to play with till you learn about what's available and what suits you best (it's a personal thing).

Generally for larger dso's like M31 you'll use low power wide field ep's, for planets/moon higher powers with narrower fields are common. Just dont go mad lol.

Hope that helps :)

hi Tyler,

as Brantuk says, the seeing is everything, when i biught me 6" sct planets where easy to see but some of the other fainter deep sky objects when hard if not impossible to see, but i took it to Kelling last autumn where they have great skies and i gould see loads of things with ease, i was amazed at what i could see clearly. i have been told that a good sky could add about 50% to your mirror size

Well - first thing you'll notice with dew is the view fuzzing up. However a newtonian has the primary mirror deep in the tube so this will be the last to go. It's usually the secondary mirror that's most affected.

You'll also notice the wetness on the outside of the tube. Keep ep's in your pocket before use to minimise the effect. A gentle warm (not hot) blow from a hairdryer can help. Don't blow directly on cold mirrors cos there's a risk of cracking if very cold.

You can resort to a secondary dew band or ep dew bands - but sometimes it can get so heavy the best thing is to pack in for the night cos nothing works :)

with a newt, I have rarely (in fact only once) had a dew issue. this was because I left off the plug which seals the focuser (when I went inside for something to eat) and the secondary dewed up.

usually it's not an issue with closed tube newts and a light / dew shield on the end of the scope (business end) will prevent it in pretty much any circumstances. you can make this from various things; some use camping mat.

I always keep my eyepieces in a foam lined case and they rarely dew up badly - they do get steamed up sometimes in winter but put them back in the case for a bit and use another one for a while seems to work. I have no worries about wiping the finder lenses with a tissue to remove dew and also use a mini dew shield and cap for the eyepiece end. works OK most of the time.

I thought about dew heaters (and even made one from resistors) but cannot be doing with wires everywhere.

I've foumd that when water is dripping off the tube because of dew the mirrors are fine but it's the eyepieces and finder that call halt to play. Money's atill a bit tight to warrant dew heaters and whatnot.

Hi

In between objects I replace the dust caps on both ends of the finder. That way it never dews up. A Telrad can simply be dabbed clear with tissue.

Like Shane I keep my eyepieces in a case which I keep shut and just open it to take them out as I need them. That way they don't dew up.

Also if having a cuppa I put the dust cap on the eyepiece that way it will not dew up while your away from it.

HTH

Regards Steve

I used to leave eyepieces in but now tend to take them out. when I did leave them in though, I made a little 'cap' out of 'funky foam' shaped like an upside down mug, and big enough to bit over the focuser and biggest eyepiece and this protected from dew.

Hi

In between objects I replace the dust caps on both ends of the finder. That way it never dews up. A Telrad can simply be dabbed clear with tissue.

Like Shane I keep my eyepieces in a case which I keep shut and just open it to take them out as I need them. That way they don't dew up.

Also if having a cuppa I put the dust cap on the eyepiece that way it will not dew up while your away from it.

HTH

Regards Steve

That's exactly the way I do it. :)

hey again should have the scope ordered this weekend :). still wondering when i leave the scope to cool outside should i leave the end cap on untill i come to use the scope? thanks and cant wait untill it comes!

Forgot to mention that I will be taking the scope on holiday with me in 4 weeks time, great thing about this is it is very far from any cities(woo! not light pollution) giving great,dark views of the sky, should hopefully get some nice views!

ok thanks been looking at various charts and have seen the philips night sky atlas, which includes moon, planets, stars, deep space galaxies, nebulae its only ten pounds. do you think i should get this or something else that i will be able to use when im outside to help me get used to the sky locate different objects to view, do you think it is any good? thanks :). link to it here:-

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Philips-Night-Sky-Atlas-Planets/dp/0540087009/ref=sr_1_1?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1310757343&sr=1-1

Archived