Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

What will I see when I find a nebula

I know the nebula will not look like the pictures I've seen online or in magazine, and I have read threads that talk about using a filter to see a nebula. What can I expect to see if I am not using a filter? Will I be able to tell that its a nebula without a filter? Thank you to all for your replies.

Hi

Well a lot depends on your choice of Nebula, M57 (the ring nebula) looks exactly like the pictures.

Where as the veil Nebula is very elusive unless an O-III filter is used.

Rest assured you'll know a Nebula when you see one.

Good hunting and clear skies.

Regards Steve

Have a look at this oist on Wikipedia:

List of Messier objects - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

It gives a picture of the object, probably taken by Hubble, but it gives an idea to the general shape and effect.

Depending on the scope and conditions you should see nebula as an object that has a size and so is not a point. The detail will as said depend on the scope, however I am guessing that your skies are pretty dark.

Check out RASC for clubs around you. Suppose one may be accessible depending on where you are exactly.

Thank you for the comments. I printed off the list of Messier objects from Wikipedia, I think this will come in pretty handy. I'll do some reading on O-III filters.

Hi

Well a lot depends on your choice of Nebula, M57 (the ring nebula) looks exactly like the pictures.

Regards Steve

It does, except you don't have the colours - either grey or the bluish-greenish tint that is common with brighter nebulas observed visually.

Every year at the Grand Canyon in Arizona, we have the Grand Canyon Star Party for eight nights, fifty astronomers showing the night sky wonders to thousands of visitors. At that 7000 foot altitude, the shimmering blue-green of planetary nebulae is quite striking. However, men and women interpret the color differently in the dark, one blue-green, the other mostly green, so when a couple walks up and looks, I ask what color the first one sees. Then I ask the second one what is seen. Then we all chuckle as they walking away debating which one does not know their colors.

One method that seems to help with kids and fainter objects is to have them look, then look away, then look back. Each break in concentration seems to reset the brain at the new level. The same works for lunar observing, and solar in an H-Alpha scope. Look, break, look, see.

It's something.

It's not a star, nor a planet, nor anything you've ever seen before.

You expect it to move, but it won't.

You expect it to be more colourful, but it is'nt, except in your mind's eye.

It is a cloud. That draws you in.

Until you see things for beauty which make you doubt your own eyes.

Nebulae are the muses of astronomy.

Be careful.

You could fall in love with one.

It's something.

It's not a star, nor a planet, nor anything you've ever seen before.

You expect it to move, but it won't.

You expect it to be more colourful, but it is'nt, except in your mind's eye.

It is a cloud. That draws you in.

Until you see things for beauty which make you doubt your own eyes.

Nebulae are the muses of astronomy.

Be careful.

You could fall in love with one.

.....and then photograph one!! The dark side awaits!

Here are DSO sketches through an 8" under dark skies:

DSO Sketches - Deep Sky Watch

If your skies aren't dark, expect to see less. Also, the observer making these sketches is very experienced. Under the same conditions, an experienced observer will see more details than a beginner would.

that's an amazingly useful and lovely website; full of resources. thanks for pointing it out!

Here are DSO sketches through an 8" under dark skies:

DSO Sketches - Deep Sky Watch

If your skies aren't dark, expect to see less. Also, the observer making these sketches is very experienced. Under the same conditions, an experienced observer will see more details than a beginner would.

Michael Vlasov's work is amazing and the website is beautiful.

Archived