Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Skytee 2 Alt-Az Mount & Berlebach Tripod

Skytee 2 Alt-Az Mount & Berlebach Wooden Tripod

After adding the ADM dovetail saddles and the slo-mo knob extensions the final part of the puzzle was to add the Berlebach UNI-18 wooden tripod. I had tried the Skytee 2 on a Skywatcher HEQ5 pillar, but that was a bit awkward to carry outside. I then used the standard Skytee 2 steel tripod which was very good but still light and easy to carry. Then unfortunately FLO decided to stock the lovely Berlebach wooden tripods, which proved too hard to resist, and I simply had to get one. The new tripod is quite a bit heavier than the steel tripod but it's still easy to pick up one handed with the mount fitted. With the tripod and mount assembled it's compact enough to be carried outside as is through a normal doorway.

One weakness of the standard steel tripod is that when the legs are fully extended vibration is a bit of a problem. Dampening times are a few seconds longer than with the tripod in it's lowest position. However the Berlebach is a much stronger tripod with greatly improved dampening times compared to a steel tripod. In terrestrial use I didn't notice any vibration at all. I'll have to wait to try some proper night-time observing with the legs fully extended to test dampening times properly, but I'm expecting them to be virtually nil.

It's also going to be a great set-up with my solar Ha and white light scopes mounted. The photo shows the 80mm APO that's going to be used with the Baader Hershel wedge and the 102mm f/11 that's about to be the subject of a PST mod (as soon as the last few bits arrive).;)

John

lovely John. you are obviously building up to them so when ARE the awards for the most attractive astro set-up UK 2011?? :D

Love that idea... and the award for most spent goes too........;)

Archived