NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

The fun begins!

OVL are loading a shiny new EQ6 PRO on the van as I type :cheers:

The Meade SN10 and Evostar 150 will both see their first light when it arrives... weather permitting :roll:

Looking forward to using them under Greg's dark sky 8)

:stars: :stars: :stars: :stars: :stars: :stars: :stars: :stars:

Thanks chaps.

Mine is actually the last EQ6 PRO available before the next shipment! (To the two customers on their hols: don't worry, yours has been put aside :salute: :))

First-light will probably be at Greg's, then it will get a full run-in at the NLO when they have their Messier Marathon a week-Friday. (Officially, GOTO isn't allowed but hopefully they'll make allowances :)) At least that's the plan....

Four months... It just feels like years :)

Actually, you share the blame with Tom Yates! He posted this back in March 06:

OK, 114 Tasco reflector, 8"celestron SCT, 12"Orion reflector, 10" Orion reflector,10 Meade SCT,

12"Meade SCT,16"Reflector, 7"ASTRO PHYSICS REFRACTOR, 5"Apm Refractor, Vixen 102 Refractor, Vixen 102 Flourite Refractor , Celestron 8" Reflector, 80mm Stellavue Refractor, Skywatcher 150 Refractor, Skywatcher 120 Refractor, Skywatcher 80 Refractor, 8" Orion F6 Reflector,Tal 4" Refractor, 90mm 125mm , ETX, Skywatcher F8 Refractor.

The worst scopes in my view where the Skywatcher 120 ,150, And to my suprise the best scopes where THE 7" A/P THE 5" APM, And wait for it ,,,,,,,,, the scope i am about to tell you about gave me some of the best views of the Planets i have ever seen and on a star test it was bang on inside and outside of focus the scope in question i owned 2 one was F5 ONE Was F8 I am talking about the F8 version, THE SKYWATCHER 150 F 8.

The Evostar 150 isn't a bestseller (its BIG!) but the feedback I receive from those who have bought one has always been very good. Besides, it really looks the biz sat on an EQ6 8)

http://www.firstlightoptics.com/proddetail.php?prod=ev150eq6pro

I was beginning to worry that the business was beginning to detract from actual practical astronomy.

It has been, that and the weather!

I hope to put my New Years resolution in effect this year by becoming more organised. Up til now I just observe whatever I like, no lists, no notes, no reports. From here on I shall start to plan my observing: list targets and write up their details together with an observing report. (I have been reading 'The Messier Objects' by Stephen James O'Meara and am feeling inspired....)

Steve, you might want to order the EQ6 entension piece. The eyepiece can get pretty close to the ground on those refractors.

Good point Gaz, and perhaps another counterweight.

They do look like 'proper' telescopes, don't they?

Yup 8)

I've been recommending that O'Meara book to anyone who will listen (ie. no one :)) for ages. It's a cracker isn't it? A lot of his drawings seem to have nebulosity where there isn't any though.....

BTW the refractor will balance with 2 weights no problem.

A lot of his drawings seem to have nebulosity where there isn't any though.....

Well, he was viewing from half-way up a mountain in Hawaii :)

BTW the refractor will balance with 2 weights no problem.

I was thinking more of the SN10

Ah, I forgot about the SN. Yep, you might well need another weight.

I don't care where O'Meara drew his pictures, theres no nebulosity in most open clusters :). He has swathes of the stuff all around the place in Auriga. :)

(Officially, GOTO isn't allowed but hopefully they'll make allowances :))

Lets not go there, eh? :) :nono: :D

I think goto at a messier marathon is an outrageous suggestion and is out and out cheating :D:)

About time you had a bit of fun Steve.

• 1 month later...

Remarkable isn't it! It took over three months for an EQ6 PRO to become available at a time when I didn't have any customer pre-orders. Unfortunately, about three weeks after it arrived and before I got a chance to use it, a mix-up at the importers left a customer without an EQ6 PRO... You can guess the rest.

Another shipment has docked so another EQ6 PRO should arrive Tuesday. And, I have just bought a second-hand Skywatcher Evostar 80ED1 Pro OTA.

So, the fun begins .... again 8)

Archived