NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

The Prancing Horse in Ophiuchus

Nightfly

The famous Prancing Horse, or The Galactic Dark Horse, however you prefer it, includes the dark nebulae made famous by Edward Emerson Barnard in his wide-field survey of the sky over 100 years ago.

This is from a 6x7 negative produced by a 200mm lens at f/4 and 40 minute exposure on black and white film. Classic astrophotography in the digital age.

High clouds softened the brightest stars. I've also left a few flaws commonly found on film just for posterity's sake!

Enjoy!

Jim

5854818753_9ba2a0866c_b.jpg

The Prancing Horse by Nightfly Photography, on Flickr

Thank you for the encouraging words. I keep imaging this area and see something different each time. There is just so much here.

I do mostly color, but b&w has a classic appeal to it.

Thanks again.

Jim

Thanks guys. This is a spectacular region of dark nebulae in a very rich star field. As pattern seeking creatures we can make all kinds of shapes out of the chaos. For those not seeing the horse. It's standing on its hind quarter with the head up high. See it? See it prancing? I've highlighted it below.

prancing%20horse.jpg

I don't see any of the flaws you mention, just outstanding beauty. Fantastic picture that I am sure a lot of work went into making. Thanks for keeping up with film too, I saw the house straight away ;)

Archived