Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Startravel 80 good for wide-field?

I'm looking for a different experience to my Celestron 8SE, something small that I can cruise the sky easily with and also hopefully learn about EQ mounts and RA stuff too (I learn by doing). The 8SE is cracking for seeing a lot of stuff, I'm just looking for something that's in between that and my small bins.

So - good for wide-field? The only thing that concerns me is talk of false colour and fringing, is this a factor for wide-field viewing with this size refractor? I thought at £126 it's cheap enough to have a go with!

If you want it for wide field you won't be disappointed. From memory it can show all the Messiers, I think, because I used one as a big finder on the Dob for a couple of years. Another possibility might be a scond hand Pronto. They seem to go for about 200 pounds, which really is cheap for such quality.

Olly

The only mount I have is the bulky Goto that came with the 8SE, an EQ1 would be worth the £36 if only for the experience, an upgrade to EQ2 should see it right if wobble is too much of a factor.

Hello Jonathan, i think if u get a eq mount for the ST80 u will end up using it on the SE mount, the SE mount is lighter, has goto and is way way more sturdy and comfortable. the 8SE is pretty small and light as it is. i have never used my ST80 as it is only 1.25" where as the C6 can use a 2" eyepeices.

Hello Jonathan, i think if u get a eq mount for the ST80 u will end up using it on the SE mount, the SE mount is lighter, has goto and is way way more sturdy and comfortable. the 8SE is pretty small and light as it is. i have never used my ST80 as it is only 1.25" where as the C6 can use a 2" eyepeices.

Maybe, but I can more easily store the EQ1 in a shed under a blanket and not feel so bad about it being a risk, plus there are no electronics should it get wet. The telescope can live in a case indoors. The SE mount is rather large and heavy in my opinion, and because it is valuable I keep it in the house. Also with this mount I have to use a large battery, not so with an EQ1. Goto is not my aim for this small telescope.

Here's a question though... why do the OTAs come with a 45 degree diagonal?

So they can be used as spotters, I guess. I have a few of these prisms, slowly accumulated, and for daytime use they are pretty good. For astronomy their limitations show up at a glance, however.

Olly

• 3 weeks later...

Receive the telescope in the post today, I have it assembled indoors at the moment as it's completely clouded over tonight, but hope to get out with it in the next few weeks. In the picture on FLO the OTA is blue, the one I actually received was black with sparkly bits, which is fine by me because then it matches the black EQ1 :D

The EQ1 feels solid enough and the telescope itself is smaller and lighter than I expected; should prove to be an interesting experience setting up my first EQ when those stars finally decide to come out!

I was out the other night looking for bats at around 10pm, seemed like a totally clear sky (blue as it was), yet with my unaided eye I could only make out about four stars.

I like that it has a camera mounting screw on one of the tube rings, means I can have a play with my DSLR while I'm out there too.

Archived