Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Help with the Whirlpool

Hey all,

Spent a great night outdoors tonight reclining on a fallen tree, watching it get dark and waiting for my scope to cool.

One thing I wanted to spy tonight was the whirlpool galaxy but just couldn't quite spot it. Got Alkaid, the very edge of the Dipper's handle and tracked downwards but no such luck.

I was using a 25mm EP, would it be easily distinguishable at this power or might I have just glazed over it and not noticed?

Got some superb views of Saturn though!:)

You know,.. I was looking for M51, the whirlpool just last night and had a horrible time! I double checked my viewfinder just to make sure and I was SURE it was exactly where it should be but,... nothing.

Then I saw a blur,.. Was it really there or did I imagine it? I'll have to look again. I was told that perfect inky black skies are needed to view it. I'll try again!

Thank you for posting this. I am looking forward to reading what others answer!

Isabelle

Since the brighter summer nights started I've not bothered with galaxies much. Last night I did have a look at M81/82 with my 130p, they were very faint and I would imagine the whirlpool would be the same especially in the Skywatcher eyepiece. They will be a lot more distinct in the dark winter skies.

Well done on getting a good veiw of Saturn, my best veiws of Saturn have gone now as it's just over our roof top and seeing is affected by heat rising from the house.

M51 is substantially less bright than M81 / M82. you need ether a lot of aperture or dark sky (preferably both) to see it at its best.

when you do see it from darkness it is my favourite galaxy.

in 'normal' light pollution and with your aperture approx (150mm) I see it occasionally currently when the sky is darkest (not very dark). it is like two almost invisible whiffs of cloud with central slightly brighter points. not easy at the minute.

Shane's description of M51 is spot on. With the current lack of darkness, galaxy spotting is challenging to say the least and even the brightest ones being woefully faint even with decent aperture.

With the darker skies of the Autumn things will become much more interesting. Under the dark April skies at the SGL star party this year M51 was extremely clear with my 6" scope and I could glimpse suggestions of spiral structure. Now my 10" newtonian is struggling to see much of it at all !.

Any light in the sky, whether from light pollution or natural causes, seems to extinguish galaxies dramatically.

Thanks guys so essentially it's too light at the moment to see it. Any others you recommend trying for at this time of year? (When the weather actually decides to give us a summertime that is!!) The only one I've successfully observed is the Andromeda galaxy.

As already mentioned, M81 & M82 are pretty good. Probably the easiest to pick out as they are bright by galaxy standards. Even when it is darker, M51 is not much to see with a 130/150mm scope unless you have dark skies.

hi ,i have not to date seen these 2 no mater how hard a try i may have sen them but realised it was not them i did this for about 3 months with andromeada until i was shown that is it lol i must have seen that a million times and thought nah thats can not be it good luck in the future

re M81 and M82, I find the traditional route (same distance again from Phad to Dubhe out in the same direction) to be very tricky as I cannot gauge this distance well for some reason, even with a Telrad.

I prefer to use the stars that are there rather than gaps in space so I go from Dubhe to the next naked eye star along (23 UMa) and then to the star 'above' this which forms a long right angled triangle (24 UMa). M81 and 82 and just back a little toward Dubhe and may even be in the field of your widest eyepiece.

I have butchered this image to show what I mean and hope it helps. ;)

post-17776-133877621814_thumb.gif

John, Shane and Rik. All really good advice and I agree. I've had a hard time seeing The Whirlpool Galaxy and have decided that the current lack of darkness is to blame. I've resigned myself to M81 and M82 instead, which are beautiful despite. I can't wait to view. Good directions too Shane :hello2: Thanks!

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks guys, I'd love to be able to update you on what I've found but the weathers been awful, not been out for over a week. I've noted down your advice though and will try for them all when we (FINALLY!!!!!) get a summer.

Archived