Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

First Light for Tipula (long post - sorry!)

Tipula

I had felt a bit dejected. I, with a lot of support from Mrs Tipula, had bought our new pride and joy (a nexstar gps8 discounted by Mr Hinds) and then it had rained, and rained some more, and been grey and dull, with some more rain, so that most of February was lost and the great view of saturn that i had hoped for didn't happen, and the telescope stood unused in the corner of the living room. Then last week, on the only night with a hint of clear skies was taken away from me as I had to attend an evening work-related meeting. So come Saturday 3rd, with the lunar eclipse pending, I hoped things would work out and as you all now know, they did... with bells on! :lol: I set up the scope outside for the first time in the dusk so that I could suss out where everything went, where it plugged into and had a play with the goto system. All seemed to work fine. I waited for the darkness. The brief frustrating part then began and I assume this is a rites of passage thing that we all must go through to attain true happiness!!!. My location is temporary and the only spot I could place the scope was on our back porch, which is mostly west-facing with the southern and eastern sky blocked by our house, a patio roof and a neighbours house. The goto kept asking for targets that I could see, but couldn't aim the scope at due to the obstructions, but I got there eventually with Polaris and Procyon. I could however see Saturn, and wow - it really took me back to when I first saw it a decade ago, and the feelings of total wonder, and amazement that Mrs Tipula was now experiencing too for the first time. Then it got too cold for Mrs T., and she retreated in doors for a while, whilst I stayed out waiting for the moon to start its show. Again due to my location I was pretty limited as to targets and the sky was so bright but it gave me the opportunity to really look at the moon in more detail than I ever had done before, and it really is a beautiful place, so easy to become complacent about.

I first came on here in the new year - to scout out some answers to the many questions that arise in this beguiling hobby, such as which scope, etc etc. I sort of made my mind up that astrophotography wasn't for me - too complicated, another extra expense when I've already spent right up to my limit on the scope, and all the other reasons I'd convinced myself as to why I wouldn't bother, but I'm afraid all that went out of the window when the moon started to perform! I borrowed Mrs T's standard cheap digital camera and started messing trying to get an image - just holding it to the eyepiece and snapping away. Then I started messing with my mobile phone, and ended up with a really small pic of saturn that is now my mobile wallpaper - it was all so much fun and really unexpected. The reality of this is just starting to sink in - my hard earned pennies again will end up being spent on more equipment into the long term, but just for now I've still go so much to see, so much to learn and so much more to enjoy in the sky. Once my location is sorted, and I have a proper observing spot sorted I suspect I will search the forum for advice about kit for photography, but right now I'm still basking in the glow of my first light and it will live with me for a long time.

gave me the opportunity to really look at the moon in more detail than I ever had done before, and it really is a beautiful place

A good telescope does that - makes the Moon a place, not an object 8)

Nice report :lol:

Great first light report! Congratulations on the new scope (and the understanding wife) I'm still waiting for my budget to be approved before I splash out on a NS8 GPS or CPC800. The eclipse was a night to remember I think everyone enjoyed it.

Darren

Nice report Tipula. It sounds very familiar! I had my first light with my newly-acquired NS8 GPS a couple of weeks ago. Like you I had a few challenges on the first night out, could only see the moon, but that was well worth it :shock: I've had two more outings with it since in between clouds and rain and am REALLY enjoying it. Can't wait for some proper clear nights to really take it for a test ride.

Helen

PS as well as getting my husband involved I managed to get my Mum and Dad enthusiatic when they visited! (well, they came when it was clear, and it was only the second clear patch since I'd had since I'd bought it - would've been a waste....)

Fantastic report!!!!!

We all know those exact feelings, and after the recent weather, you get those feelings again when the cloud breaks. I know I did on Saturday night - was like the first time all over again :lol::D

More reports like this please!!!

Wonderful atmospheric account of a first light experience Mr Tipula. The party is far from over however, you have decades of wonderous discoveries to make, and the wonder is, we get to share them with you, because we want to hear all you OOH'S and AHH'S. :lol:

Enjoy your new spaceship, it will take you on some incredible journeys sir.

Ron :D

Archived