Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Need some help/advise

good morning. i am new to this site, is very usefull ! but i need some help ! i am on the verge to bying my first telescope; i like to read/watch/see astronomy related subjects. i never used or looked through a telescope. can you send me some raw images from your last observation session? i need to see if a telescope will be something that i want rather than spend money and keep it locked in a closet. i know my request sounds a little..weird, but i can use some help. you can use my email if you'd care to pm me for it, any ideas are welcomed ! thank you in advance.

welcome to SGL!

I am not sure what you are asking or why?

are you considering diving straight into astrophotography or do you want an idea what you are likely to see through a telescope?

if the latter then images through a telescope will not provide any clue as to what the images visually will be like.

perhaps you can confirm the above and others might then be able to help.

I cannot see the need for large raw files if you are just looking to see what it's all about. surely a small file version would be as good for this purpose?

It all depends on how much you are willing to spend and what you would like to acheive. If you want to try imaging you don't necessarily need a big scope. There are wonderful images about which have been taken on 6" reflectors, but it's easier if you have synscan or goto and obviously a camera. I use the camera on my phone and have got some good pics of the moon.you can get far better with a dslr.

post-25255-133877618184_thumb.jpg

post-25255-133877618191_thumb.jpg

guys, thanks for answering back. after reading my own post, it looks like i am missing some info..here it goes: i set my eyes on C8 NGT, i have a budget for about 1500 $ cad- that "allows" me the scope+power tank+fliter kit; i am interested to start from A and going to Z; i never udes a telescope and i just wanna see what i can "see", a raw image. i hope i make myself understood :))

well, that was my original idea...raw as in original image ! i kinda dont understand how those sketches were made..so, i am sorry if i ask stupid questions, hope is undertandable ! :))

i think i now what you mean,as seen by the eye rather than a long exposure photo.

most nebula's,galaxies ect... will be faint fuzzy patches as seen by the eye,unless you are going to spend a lot of money.orion nebula is superb,Andromeda galaxy also.

but planets,clusters will provide some wow factor.the moon is also a super object in any size scope.

i am aware that i need to start with small steps; i will look for an astronomy club here in Montreal and try to participate at a stargazing party that, hopefully, will provide me the answer to my dilemma. BG, what do u mean "unless you are going to spend a lot of money"? spend the $ on what? finder/eyepiece/filter...be specific. thanks

.... BG, what do u mean "unless you are going to spend a lot of money"? spend the $ on what? finder/eyepiece/filter...be specific. thanks

To see galaxies and other deep sky objects starting to look as they do in images you need two things:

- a large aperture telescope (this is where most of the $'s will go)

- access to really dark skies

I had a few minutes with a 20" (510mm) aperture scope last year under relatively dark skies and the 2 objects that I observed (Messier 51 and Messier 13) really did look like the images do.

Such a scope costs a lot of money though so I have to content myself with my 10" (250mm) scope.

John, thanks! i can use your feedback to "complete the puzzle "; i set my eyes on C8-NGT and i believe is a normal telescope, not too fancy and i am not expecting to see ET waiving back at me !:)))

The C8 is a fine scope. Will give you some jaw dropping views of the moon and major planets. Plenty of details on those.

Globular clusters respond well to the C8, i was easily able resolve the larger clusters into stars. M13 looked very nice with the C8.

As John says, head out to a dark site and see the galaxies transform. A little disappointing from a light polluted yard though.

even in bad light pollution there's lots to see. planets. moon and double stars are all unaffected by light pollution.

objects right above you in the sky are also less affected by light pollution than those lower down. good luck!

good to know Russ, thanks. i live in Montreal and the light pollution is huge !! i will try my best. :)

Did you go and see the grand prix on Sunday? A bit wet but one of the greatest grand prix ever.

Russ, u will never going to believe me, but i worked on that day, from 7:30 till 4 PM, Montreal time; i heard the F1 cars, i watched on tv, but to have a good viewing spot u have to pay a minimum of 4-500 $...so, i rather use that $ for somethig else. :)

Russ, u will never going to believe me, but i worked on that day, from 7:30 till 4 PM, Montreal time; i heard the F1 cars, i watched on tv, but to have a good viewing spot u have to pay a minimum of 4-500 $...so, i rather use that $ for somethig else. :)

Blimey! :) And i thought the British GP was expensive. You're right, far better things to spend that sort of money on. Something Televue would be nice for a start. ;)

I was gutted I taped it and because it was delayed by the weather I missed the end :)

I can tell you the ending if you like.....it was very good. :)

I think the whole race is on iPlayer.

not to mention that the race was stopped for about 2 hrs and it rained a lot that day! talking about summer !i did enjoy watching a Veyron and several types of Ferrari ! Russ, a stupid question: what's Televue? :)

not to mention that the race was stopped for about 2 hrs and it rained a lot that day! talking about summer !i did enjoy watching a Veyron and several types of Ferrari ! Russ, a stupid question: what's Televue? :)

Premier maker of eyepieces and telescopes :)

Tele Vue Optics

Premier maker of eyepieces and telescopes :)

Tele Vue Optics

I completely agree with Russ! :) I strongly recommend the entire line of Tele Vue Eyepieces as I have also viewed through both Tele Vue Plossls and Tele Vue Naglers. In particular, the 19mm Tele Vue Panoptic and 10mm Tele Vue Radian eyepieces will provide the observer many hours of enjoyable viewing of many different kinds of celestial objects. The eye relief seen in the Panoptics is quite comfortable but even better with the Radians whose complete line offers 20mm of eye relief. I have tried a lot of eyepieces, but the Tele Vues rival or exceed the performance of even the most costly eyepieces through which I have viewed.

...be specific.
;) I suspect, as with most "is it worth it" questions, it's hard to quantify. Also a bit subjective. You might have to risk buying a "starter scope" and forming your own opinion. And that, without any disrespect! :)

I (was early) retired and "downsized" my home to pursue astronomy. Sometimes it can be [on the resulting modest income] VERY frustrating indeed. But I'm fairly pragmatic. My Telescope stuff probably cost the same as the (long overdue) Double Glazing on this money-pit of a house. LOL. I know which I'd rather look tho'... :)

:)) that's funny Macavity ! and i am happy for you that you did everthing in your power to follow your dream/passion. Telrad/Russ, another stupid question: Televue can be use with different brands of telescopes? is there a special category that i can use for Celestron? i will "dry up" that website, but a sugestion form a user count more !

PS: my browser is set up as a "primary language" with french ! so pls escuse me if you see some missing letters form my messages !

Archived