Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

250PX Flextube

russ

• Replies 99
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Funny, I have the exact same telescope as you have and have had no problems raising the truss for business. Mine is a 10" so I'm assuming yours is as well. I actually dlose the truss at the end of each viewing since I have to bring it indoors and being "petite" has its disadvantages sometimes.

I wish you clear skies!

Funny, I have the exact same telescope as you have and have had no problems raising the truss for business. Mine is a 10" so I'm assuming yours is as well. I actually dlose the truss at the end of each viewing since I have to bring it indoors and being "petite" has its disadvantages sometimes.

I wish you clear skies!

Isabelle, I can't carry mine when the truss rods are down, I find it a little awkward. I do close them after an observing session though.. :) which hopefully might be this evening? as there's much less cloud cover - and I'll see how this day develops..

Hi,

Can anyone please point me in the right directon for secondary thumbscrews for the 250 flextube. I bought some M4 x 25mm from WDS but these only just rest on the seconday when fully inserted and cannot be used to adjust it :). I'm not having much joy trying to find slightly longer ones elsewhere.

I could also do with any tips on where the place my Telrad for ease of use. I have substituted the finder that came with it with a RAF and currently have the Telrad on the far side of the scope as this appears to be the only place it will go. I would far rather not have to go around the other side on my knees t look through it if possible though:icon_scratch:.

Finally, does anyone have any tips on how I can get the motors to raise the tube during the first 15 degrees from horizontal as I have to lift it part of the way up at the moment before they kick in.

Thanks

Hi,

Can anyone please point me in the right directon for secondary thumbscrews for the 250 flextube. I bought some M4 x 25mm from WDS but these only just rest on the seconday when fully inserted and cannot be used to adjust it :). I'm not having much joy trying to find slightly longer ones elsewhere.

I could also do with any tips on where the place my Telrad for ease of use. I have substituted the finder that came with it with a RAF and currently have the Telrad on the far side of the scope as this appears to be the only place it will go. I would far rather not have to go around the other side on my knees t look through it if possible though:icon_scratch:.

Finally, does anyone have any tips on how I can get the motors to raise the tube during the first 15 degrees from horizontal as I have to lift it part of the way up at the moment before they kick in.

Thanks

I went for these:

WDS 8151 Thumb Nut - Flat Head, Plastic Hand Knobs - WDS

Then bought some M4 rod from B&Q for a couple of quid. Just make the length whatever size you need. :)

I wish you clear skies!

All sorted Isabelle. Earl had locked the truss for transport.....released off, now lowers and raises with ease :)

Dob Parts UK :)

The prices seem fairly reasonable for a bakelite handle. I'd like to ask if can anyone recommend a good candidate for a dob knob at all and what fixings I'll need to attach that and the handle?

WDS 8532 Handle, Handles - WDS

Tom, this is the panning handle i fitted to the Revelation 12":

WDS 8535 Handle, Handles - WDS

The one you picked out looks just the job too.

I have fund a good knob and the fixings required, the handle has a pair of M8 threaded holes that are 14mm deep according to the specs, in which case a pair of m8 x 12mm mushroom head screws would work.

The knob has an m6 threaded rod and they sell a pack of nuts separately. All I need to do is drill the holes in the dob, not easy with the majority of the inside flocked with prostar!

Total is £23 for handle, knob, 10 nuts and pack of bolts with vat and postage added. Not too bad but I will put that on hold for a week as I have some other things to by beforehand.

Tom, this is the panning handle i fitted to the Revelation 12":

WDS 8535 Handle, Handles - WDS

The one you picked out looks just the job too.

• 2 weeks later...

Ordered the Teleskope Service 400mm Ebonystar ring for the Azimuth bearing. Ordered Monday, arrived today......excellent service from TS.

Due to the lazy design by Synta who left all the allen head screws proud of the dob base surface, the ring would not fit. And i had i tried cutting holes or drilling holes in the Ebonystar, it would have just fallen apart.

So i removed all the allen screws, countersunk the holes and then put the screws back in....now below the surface level.......simples! Bit of adhesive applied to the EBonystar and Bob's your uncle. Now the azimuth motions glide with no stiction at all. Silky smooth......awesomeness!

Highly recommended and not a bad price for the results it gives. :)

• 3 weeks later...

Couple of updates to the scope:

now fitted the 400mm Ebonystar ring from TS. Not a straight forward fit due to the raised screw heads under the base. But only took a few minutes to recess them leaving a lovely flat surface for the ring:

russ-albums-kit-picture12350-250px-base-ebonystar.jpg

Also added an AstroTech 93mm quick release finder bracket to take a National Geographic 70mm F4.3 refractor. The refractor itself had to be modified to take 1.25" eyepieces and also remove the baffles (aperture stops):

russ-albums-kit-picture12349-250px-ae-lightbridge-shroud-national-geographic-70-finder.jpg

To be fair this is how you would want it to be!.. I feel a businees 'Pimp my Dob' coming on here...

Just about finished now. Will flock the tubes at some point and swap the AE shroud for a lightweight homemade Lycra job.

What happened to the previous finder you hadon there Russ?

Stephen

They are both under going trials, along with a third (ST80 in ADM rings) option now. The beauty of the NG scope is it's weight....its mainly plastic and this does help with balancing. I forgot how heavy the ST80 really is.

At the moment my homebrew 65mm wins for quality optics but i've yet to try them all under starry skies. But i think the ST80 is simply going to be too heavy.

They are both under going trials, along with a third (ST80 in ADM rings) option now. The beauty of the NG scope is it's weight....its mainly plastic and this does help with balancing. I forgot how heavy the ST80 really is.

At the moment my homebrew 65mm wins for quality optics but i've yet to try them all under starry skies. But i think the ST80 is simply going to be too heavy.

Let us know how that testing goes. I'm going to try something similar with my 66ED

Stephen

Archived