SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

250PX Flextube

russ

• Replies 99
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I was thinking about that... but I'm planning to fit the teflon pads to the rocker box and make a new base with the ES glued on. That way you don't need to worry about the bolts...

Great idea :) I'll get on to that too

Nice looking scope Russ :)

Looking forward to 1st light reports :hello2:

Thanks John.

I used it last night until 3am......not feeling so good at the moment :)

I am completely over the moon. Checked out a few of the old classics (M13, M27, M57 etc plus Saturn) and it's just the job.

Biggest surprise is my astroboot 65mm finder. With the 18mm Paradigm in there it becomes a telescope in its own right. All the DSO's looked fab in the finder. Not bad for £15.

Nice to see the attention to detail. "Reverse" use of dovetails (for counterweights) is... :)

Only downside it does mean drilling a couple of holes here and there :)

But it works a treat :hello2:

Great idea Russ. Must raid the astroboot for one of those pucks- whats the hand knob size you have used? Why one on top and one below- is one set not sufficient?

Stephen

Stephen, it's an 8mm thread size and i used a 26mm head for the hand knob (from WDS Ltd). Go for the better looking puck in astroboot, it's brand spanking new.

The dual dovetails are supposed to balance the tube not only in the horizontal but also looking straight up. Something i never did before with the 12, so the 12 used to flip back if the counterweight was on. And the dual bars work beautifully. Doesn't matter where i point now, even without the tension handles, it glides to position and stays there.

Many thanks to the 'Astronomy Hacks' book for that idea :)

Scope looks fab Russ with your (now customary) counterweight system too!.

Re the Teflon / Ebony Star placement, be very careful about this as I am almost certain that placing the Teflon pads on the underside of the rocker and the Teflon on the groundboard would make for an insecure (or less solid anyway) mounting.

The theory goes that the Teflon pads bear the weight on three points and that this weight is transferred directly through to the ground through the feet, as they are glued onto the groundboard directly above the fixing point for the feet. This makes for a solid 'footing' (no pun intended). Putting the pads and laminate the other way up would in my opinion compromise this stability as the pads would impart weight into areas where the support is not there (i.e. between the feet).

Hi Shane,

You absolutely right. I was reading that in my Astronomy Hacks book. I'll need someone to cut an Ebonystar ring that sits between the socket head bolts on the underside of the rocker. That's going to be real tricky cutting that ring.

Btw we need to sort out our bit of Ebonystar. I'll send an email shortly.

no worries mate. I am pretty sure you can cut ebony star with good sharp scissors but not certain - anyone know?

assuming you can could you not just take the base of the rocker off, make a paper template, poke holes through where the bolts are and then cut a solid circle (assuming we buy some) the size of the rocker base. then using the paper template, gradually drill the holes bigger where they need to be? on this basis, it will be the same as the current rocker base but with ebony star covering the board.

Stephen, we have had a reply from Wilsonart UK who supply the original Ebonystar laminate but they only supply it in sheets (3mx1.5m).....big sheets! You are more than welcome to join us as we are going to have a huge surplus i think. Although Shane has a few projects on the go so needs a fair bit. I will PM you in a sec. :)

Guys,

Amate of mine built me a 254mm dob from scratch.

For bearings he usedteflon pads so the norm. But for ease of gliding he used a sheet of Formica on the base. I used to polish this every so often.

It was a breeze to use, cut,and no doubt a good deal cheaper than Ebonystar.

I'm awaiting delivery of my new 300P F5 Flexi auto. So will be reading this thread with intrige once mine arrives.

LOVE the finder scope. WANT ONE !!!!!!

Eddie

Hi Eddie,

Was it a smooth formica, just i was under the impression the material had to be rough or bobbly? Smooth (and no air pockets) would cause stiction.

Russ,

Definately smooth.

The base movement was as smooth as. I polished it every few months, just normal furniture polish. The base moved on 3 oblong teflon pads.

Maybe that idea is now antiquated ?

How much is the Ebonystar, sounds as though I may need some. The diameter of my 300 base is 640mm.

Did your finder fit in the 50mm bracket that comes with the scope set up. I was pondering on a RACI finder. I'm 6'3", breaking my neck is not an option :)

Cheers Eddie

Russ,

Definately smooth.

The base movement was as smooth as. I polished it every few months, just normal furniture polish. The base moved on 3 oblong teflon pads.

Maybe that idea is now antiquated ?

How much is the Ebonystar, sounds as though I may need some. The diameter of my 300 base is 640mm.

Did your finder fit in the 50mm bracket that comes with the scope set up. I was pondering on a RACI finder. I'm 6'3", breaking my neck is not an option :)

Cheers Eddie

Unfortunately it wouldn't fit in the standard 50mm bracket so had to buy the Antares 80mm bracket with quick release...fortunately that came up in the Astroboot. Normally £29 with Scopes'n'skies or £70 with Rother Valley Optics.

All the bits to make the finder are still in the Astroboot except the finder bracket.

Not sure how much the Ebonystar will be yet, not had a price back for the sheet. But we can divide the cost according to percentage of sheet bought.

Lovely scope Russ and some pretty nifty looking mods. I have just looked at the ebony star ring from telescope service and looked like excellent value until i got as far as the shipping costs :eek

With the shipping costs it does make that little ring of Ebonystar look a little pricey. You can buy a sheet of Ebonystar in the UK but they will only sell a 3mx1.3m sheet.

Archived