Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Observed Jupiter for First Time

Codz

As it approaches, more detail will become apparent. Furthermore, you will be able to observe it for more hours each night, and observe the rotation, Jupiter has a 9-10h day. You will see changes in the cloud belts, storms such as the Great Red Spot, white oval spots, and dark areas. Jupiter is the most dynamic planet to observe.

• 3 weeks later...

Jupiter's the one for me.

Saturn has all the glory, but Jupiter is so much bigger, and I never get tired of the nightly dance of the galilean moons.

Observing advice?

Plan an observing session whem Io transits. Seeing a moon's shadow on another world is a kick and a half!

Awesome!! I cant wait to view Jupiter for the first time. With out traveling to a dark site early in the morning (or staying up late), I will have to wait. I have pine trees to the east of my house that block it early in the morning.

Jupiter is stunning and I agree with Kim, in the UK (not that I have really observed it anywhere else!) I have found between 125x and 150x is best as it seems to 'dislike' high magnifications. Occasionally more but usually the image degrades a little.

I find the Baader Neodymium filter enhances detail a little.

Archived