Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Perseus double cluster - impressive

Observed for the first time Perseus double cluster the other night, I was surprised it was rather easy to find.

It was not that high in the sky, and there was bad light pollution towards that direction as it heads in the city.

I could imagine it would look even better on a dark sky!

I think these clusters makes it my first NGC objects!

One of the best DSO sights - two tight clusters close to each other and then to top it all some of the stars in the field are strongly red. It is not on the Messier list but few Messiers come close.

• 4 weeks later...
Observed for the first time Perseus double cluster the other night, I was surprised it was rather easy to find.

It was not that high in the sky, and there was bad light pollution towards that direction as it heads in the city.

I could imagine it would look even better on a dark sky!

I think these clusters makes it my first NGC objects!

Under dark skies the double cluster is absolutely mind blowing. The two clusters just stand proud upon a back ground of thousands of stars and can be seen as a misty patch in the sky by eye. The DC is no doubt one of my favorite DSO along with the Rosette nebula and M42. Although the DC is best viewed together each one is a great feast to the eye individually with my favorite of the pair being NGC869.

truly a fabulous sight, especially as mentioned when a bit higher. Perseus is a superb constellation with lots to see and lots close by too. I blame the DC for costing me a 13mm Ethos. The first time I saw the two clusters fill the view in a borrowed 13mm Ethos at 123x magnification and in a 12" dob was just stunning.

truly a fabulous sight, especially as mentioned when a bit higher. Perseus is a superb constellation with lots to see and lots close by too. I blame the DC for costing me a 13mm Ethos. The first time I saw the two clusters fill the view in a borrowed 13mm Ethos at 123x magnification and in a 12" dob was just stunning.

This was the same reason why I almost popped my cherry and bought a 13mm Ethos. Not quite as impressive at only x76 in my scope though ;) so was hardly worth the large price tag.

not sure about that actually matey. I reckon it would be even better in a 17mm Ethos (94x) than with my 13E as there's a bit more space around it.

this is the problem really, you often cannot justify eyepieces to fit single objects into the field and most look good in slightly wider fields anyway

"I saw the two clusters fill the view in a borrowed 13mm Ethos at 123x" "I reckon it would be even better in a 17mm Ethos (94x)" :crybaby2:Arrrgh why didn't I sell a kidney when you were selling the 12" OO ;)

If I had anything other than cheap Chinese massed produced scopes I sure I could justify the cost of ethos but I already think I have over done it with my choice of EP's :D You certainly got to give it to Orion Optics 12" light grasping power, Hiliux coatings and respectable magnification to make the best of those views.

he he (I do mean instead of the 13e!!).

in fact there was one sold recently on AB&S and I contacted the guy about a possible swap. he would have been interested too but it had 'unfortunately' sold within minutes!

Archived