NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

Least Cloudiest place in Britain?

banner001

I dont even know if cloudiest is a word? But where is the place in the UK that gets the least amount of cloud?

I know it is not in yorkshire, wondered if someplace central, i.e. flat and no hills might be less cloudy? Or maybe someplace on the devon coast?

• Replies 34
  • Created
  • Last Reply
...Or maybe someplace on the devon coast?

Anybody who thinks the Devon coast is cloud-free has probably never visited Devon. :p

We had just as bad a winter as the rest of the country, in terms of cloud cover, although it was probably much warmer for us.

I think since Christmas we've had maybe thirty clear nights. By clear, I mean being able to see the stars; good seeing is another thing altogether!

Last summer I was at our caravan at Harlyn for two seperate weeks, one of them was really sunny, with beautifully clear nights, and the second one was dull and miserable.

I suspect our weather might be more changeable than elsewhere, because of the warmer air and coastal location. So we have better chance of cloud clearing, but better chance of it appearing as well! :D

From the general weather patterns and the movement of the various High and Low pressure systems the whole West side of the England and all of N Ireland are out of it.

The East coast down to about Lincolnshire seems to get cloud coming southwards from the North sea. After that it often seems to dissipate.

Leaves the East Anglia, Essex, Kent, Sussex, Surry, Dorset, South Devon, South Cornwall.

My guess would be Dorset and South Devon. Although East Anglia has had close to zero rain in the last 10 weeks however it rarely seems to be clear when I want to go out.

Is there a list of UK observatories anywhere? They will have been built at places that have reduced average cloud cover.

Statistically I think it's East Anglia, Kent and the coast stretching from Dorset through to just beyond Selsey... in other words the further south and east you go the better it gets... at least in terms of clouds.

This map here might help. Although I'm not convinced their colour choices make it easy to read :D

James

Archived