Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Least Cloudiest place in Britain?

banner001

• Replies 34
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Interesting map! I'm not sure how it correlates with nighttime weather though as that map implies that here in Taunton we get a similar amount of sunshine as much of north Norfolk. It certainly can be sunny here but I'd estimate north Norfolk gets 2-3 times as many clear nights (maybe the North Sea fog evens the score a little!).

James

Well you can rule out Merseyside/Lancashire, getting quite sick of the grey stuff at the moment.:p

You can also add Greater Manchester to that :D, that rules out the North West of England.

I grew up in Canberra, Australia and only found out when I was driving taxis there that one of the main reasons I could see the stars so well in a place which had streetlights every 20 yards was because of legislation which said the skies had to be kept LP free for the various observatories in and around the Brindabella mountains.

The reason for all those observatories was because Canberra and the ACT apparantly received more sunlight per square inch than any other capital city on earth. How true that is I don't know, but I do seem to recall leaving some gorgeous weather behind.

Never appreciate what you have till you lose it.

Alan

Looks a lot like the LP map that appears on another thread ... is there a causal relationship, I wonder?

If the weather is better, it is easier to grow crops, so it is easier to support a larger population, so that area is likely to grow up to have a larger population in post-industrial society, so it's likely to have more light pollution??

mibby??

Probably have to avoid major "air corridors" too. Not much rain (cloud) in parts of middle England, but an awful lot of yellow skies... largely from spreading contrails? :D

Occasionally, coastal Wales can still produce those crystal skies of my youth... I did say ocasionally! :p

Archived