NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

M27 Dumbbell Nebula

carastro

I went out last night expecting a clear evening (which was what the forecasts said), it had been a clear sky all day, got set up and aligned and guess what happened??!!

Anyway, there were gaps between the clouds so decided to carry on and see what i could get between the clouds. This meant having to reduce the planned 5min subs to 3 1/2 minutes. In the end I was only able to use 3 subs as the rest had clouds pass through them.

I am planning on adding more to this, but I was rather surprised to get the resulting image from only 3 x 3.5min subs.

800 ISO + darks flats and bias,

Skywatcher ED120 Pro, Canon DSLR EOS 450D + CLS filter

Guided PHD, NEQ6

post-18809-133877607708_thumb.jpg

• Replies 27
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Cracking result Carole.....if that's what you've done with so few subs, the result with more added will be great :p

Very natural looking image....nice processing :)

Rob

Hey Carol!!

Thats pretty awesome for quarter of an hour!!

Those planetaries are pretty bright aren't they?!

Gonna have a go at this myself this week... I'm hoping that 1min subs and an hour or so of total data will show it up as well as this!

Ben

Sent from my GT-I9100 using Tapatalk

Thanks Ben,

I take it you're not guiding yet then?

Carole

:-)

Soon Carol!!

But no, not yet. Still having fun seeing what can be done without guiding and saving some pennies for a stand-alone autoguider for later in the year. Should be guiding by Kelling in Sept at least I hope.

Ben

Sent from my GT-I9100 using Tapatalk

Thanks every-one.

I managed to grab an hours worth of 5min subs last night (although still need to check them). Will post results later.

See you at Kelling again in September then Ben.

Carole

Thanks every-one, I did manage to get another hours worth on 22nd (lost 2 subs to planes) but here is the result (ignore the dates on the file these are the early hours of the morning dates).

I also did M13 and M27 which I will post separately while I was waiting for The Dumbbell to rise above the roof tops.

I'd maybe try easing down the green just a tad?

Olly, this is the colour that came out of the camera, only alteration I made was to pull up the red a little.

Carole

post-18809-133877608827_thumb.jpg

Ah, but straight from the camera is not bound to be right. It rarely is for me. Thinking about this a little more (as I said on your newer post) the missing link may just be the blue. If you go into Levels in PS and scroll through the R,G and B channels I've a feeling that blue will be out of synch. Aim to align the top left of each peak to the same point to see what happens. But keep looking at the image as well!

Olly

Hi Olly, I tried what you suggested. There was hardly any difference in the histogram between blue and green channels (and hardly any with red either. I gave it a slight tweak and this is the result.

The colours are now in exactly the same position. As you can see hardly any difference. I know one tends to see M27 more blue, but I don't like forcing a colour change if this is what the camera has captured.

Carole

post-18809-133877609079_thumb.jpg

Archived