Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

EQ5 goto mount vs standard HEQ5

jordan20

HEQ5 actually has 64 step motors like the NEQ6 series. The EQ5 has 32 step. The more steps the more accurate.

... I can' t believe I know that.. *hangs head in shame*

I am mainly a planetary observer but what would i be better off wit as there priced the same ?

They are not the same price (as far as I can find). FLO have the EQ5 pro goto for £486, the HEQ5 syntrek is £111 more at £597

The advantage of the EQ5 is that you have the hand controller to locate objects should you wish to use the goto functionality, you'll need to use a computer of some description and EQMOD to do the same with the hEQ5. However as you said you're more into visual planetary observing the goto would be wasted. If you can afford the extra the HEQ5 is probably your better bet

HEQ5 actually has 64 step motors like the NEQ6 series. The EQ5 has 32 step. The more steps the more accurate.

... I can' t believe I know that.. *hangs head in shame*

Shame? That's vital info if you're thinking about imaging :eek:

They are not the same price (as far as I can find). FLO have the EQ5 pro goto for £486, the HEQ5 syntrek is £111 more at £597

The advantage of the EQ5 is that you have the hand controller to locate objects should you wish to use the goto functionality, you'll need to use a computer of some description and EQMOD to do the same with the hEQ5. However as you said you're more into visual planetary observing the goto would be wasted. If you can afford the extra the HEQ5 is probably your better bet

http://f1telescopes.co.uk/shop.php?id=1542&level=

HEQ5 Super Heavy-Duty Equatorial Mount

Or would i be better off saving for a little longer for an EQ6 and upgrade it to goto later if i feel like it ?

Thats the standard HEQ5, i beleive Malcom you are thinking of the syntrek version?

I thought there were only two versions, one with the basic syntrek handset, then the full blown goto synscan handset....

There are Three. The cheapest is the one linked above that has dual drive motors. The syntrek and synscan have upgraded motors and either the tracking hadset or the full goto handset

Stephen

Be careful - the "cheap" one with the dual drive motors can only be upgraded by replacing the motors as well as all the rest of the bits - it may prove cheaper in the long run to get the Syntrek version which already has the "correct" motors for goto upgrade (by which ever method you choose).

Personally I bought an HEQ5 Syntrek and upgraded using EQMOD/ASCOM. This required the purchase of a laptop which, courtesy of an Amazon sale, cost less than the Skywatcher upgrade kit. Plus the fact that EQMOD has FAR more functionality than the "goto" handset is ever likely to.

I would have thought planetary observing is where the Goto would be the most use?

Finding the telescopic Planets, locating minor Planets, and observing the inferior planets when in the same area of sky as the sun.

These are the times where I would prefer a Goto, Not be faffing about with setting circles

Regards Steve

all things considered i am going to save for the HEQ5 standard as i will probably never use goto as i actually enjoy finding DSO myself :eek:. pluss the intes mk66 with its original diagonal and my baader 8mm EP would push an EQ5 to its limit !.

Archived