Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

New bright(ish) Supernova

lukebl

Hey all,

A new supernova was discovered a couple of days ago in the galaxy NGC3972 in Ursa Major. It's about 14th magnitude and bright enough to be worth having a go at imaging it. Unfortunately, it's in a blind spot for my obsy, but I'm sure someone could have a go. Here's the details: POSSIBLE SUPERNOVA IN NGC 3972 - Zhangwei Jin

I've been thinking that I really must find one myself. Surely it can't be that hard! Just take a look at this Carte du Ciel screen grab from the area around NGC3972. Each red blob is a galaxy down to about mag 19. That's a HECK of a lot of galaxies. Just need to make time to take a whole series of quick images. You'll catch loads of galaxies in a single frame.

post-16549-133877596161_thumb.jpg

• Replies 28
  • Created
  • Last Reply
.....But it looks like at mag 14.2 it is out of reach in my 8" dob from my suburban location, that is unless it gets even brighter, mag 13 (same as 2011b) might just push it into my eyes :)

It's only just been discovered, so it could be on the rise. Alternatively, it could also be fading!

My last night image of supernova. Taken with Celestron 8 and EOS1000D, guided by synguider+100/660 celestron achro.

5min subs, total 2h57min of light.

My first ever image of supernova:)

supernova%202h57min.jpg

Here's the supernova announcement from my email... sure looks hopeful. :)

"A mag 14.5 supernova (2011by) has been found in NGC 3972

The position is about 5" east and 19" north of the galaxy's center.

Spectrum indicates it is a young event.

On April 27th at 5 UT it matches a previous supernova about 10 days before maximum.

It's expected that the supernova will become much brighter before peaking."

Great images, BTW!! :D

Took this wide field shot on the 1st May in the hope of catching my second supernova of the spring, shot on a Canon 550D with a 200mm L lens on the Astrotrac with 5 x 3minutes exposures.

You can see how wide the full field is because the height of the frame spans Megrez to Phad but I still managed to get it with only 200mm of focal length.

Mel

5677658438_257f42028d_o.jpg

If the sky stays clear I shall definitely be trying to find it, though I think it's going to be tough for me. At least it's pretty close to the zenith.

James

I observed it for the second time last night with my 12" and found it to have brightened - I estimated 13.3 but can quite believe 13.2. I posted data for comparison stars in another thread:

http://stargazerslounge.com/observing-deep-sky/140452-bright-ish-supernova-ngc-3972-a.html#post1802917

The supernova is easily within reach of an 8" though the host galaxy is not - I tried for it with an 8-inch from a dark site a few years ago and couldn't see it. So a detailed finder chart would be needed.

I tried imaging supernova one more time, more and more lightening nightsky making it difficult.

I took this one last night with WO 80mm, 2 hours of light with Canon EOS1000D, 3min subs. No filters.

supernova%20wo80%203.5%202h.jpg

Still brightening. Latest estimates make it 13.0.

Saw it visually myself at last night. A bit more satisfying than capturing it on a CCD chip!

Archived