Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Ebay bargins!

Madhatter

• Replies 72
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Simple, I would have thought. If you place a maximum bid and another bidder also places a maximum bid, then those bids compete, to give a realistic impression of how the auction is running. A 'manually' placed last minute bid is like leaping in as the gavel drops. An e-snipe can have been placed long before the aution ends and doesn't give an accurate view of the state of bidding. A genuine bidder may well let other lots pass whilst concentrating on a specific item, only to find joe moneybags has grossly overbid with his e-sniper, which could account for used items going for more than new items.

However, as you (or someone) said, it isn't illegal.

I have to admit to often playing ebay roulette, when I'm bored. I'll keep bidding up an item until I become the highest bidder, hoping to get e-sniped/out bid before it ends, saves all those good bargains getting snapped up for 99p. If I lose, I get to buy something, if I win, I get to 'spend' the money again.

Each to their own I guess....

and you refer to me having no integrity?

and you refer to me having no integrity?

Not directly, Shane, no. Sniping in general, be it on ebay or in warfare, it just isn't cricket. But, should the cap fit etc.

Do I detect a hint of accusation regarding my ebay roulette? Where am quite prepared to purchase any item, should I be unfortunate enough to 'win' the auction (a term I disagree with), I consider it a form of gambling and only do it on items that are actually on my want list, so am I being dishonest or showing a lack of integrity? By openly bidding on an item that is genuinely up for auction?

I think not.

Not directly, Shane, no. Sniping in general, be it on ebay or in warfare, it just isn't cricket. But, should the cap fit etc.

Do I detect a hint of accusation regarding my ebay roulette? Where am quite prepared to purchase any item, should I be unfortunate enough to 'win' the auction (a term I disagree with), I consider it a form of gambling and only do it on items that are actually on my want list, so am I being dishonest or showing a lack of integrity? By openly bidding on an item that is genuinely up for auction?

I think not.

I cannot see the point of continuing this mate. we are just at opposite poles of the argument. I see purposefully bidding up an item in the hope that you are outbid quite bizarre. to my anyway it's certainly as much outside of the 'spirit' of ebay as you seem to suggest sniping is.

what about items where the end time is 3am in the UK. do you expect me to stay up and make a manual last second bid or use a system set up to make a pre-programmed bid while I am observing or alseep? I set my price and then it bids or otherwise depending on how it's gone.

if you set your maximum price in the first place rather than 'bidding up' and I set mine on a sniping programme then the person making the best highest offer will win. is this not how ebay works?

surely if the seller wants a certain figure for the item they should set a min price/reserve and pay the appropriate fee. if they start the bidding at 99p and it sells for less than they hope, it's not my fault.

I find the concept of bidding on an item in the hope you're outbid at the last second slightly bizarre. Each to their own, I suppose.

At least snipping doesn’t cost people money. Bidding up an item does... and you want to lecture people on integrity?

There are many activities and concepts which I find bizzare, yet folk will fight bitterly to defend them at the first sign of descent.

Some play/watch sport, others indulge themselves in very heinous activities, each believes themselves to be right and anyone who disagrees is the infidel.

How easily ordinary people can be spurred into aggression over trivial matters.

• 8 months later...

They are still out there!!

Revelation 42mm - new

SW 7-21mm zoom -almost like new

SW UWA 6mm - opticaly great, some letters on barrel rubbed off

SW UWA 9mm - opticaly great, some letters on barrel rubbed off

SW 1.25 LP filter - almost like new

SW 2" LP filter - new

£62 pounds delivered to my house:D had to wait a month and had to put in a paypal item not recieved claim before i could get a responce from the seller though! but im chuffed with my frist ebay score in ages! lol..

They are still out there!!

Revelation 42mm - new

SW 7-21mm zoom -almost like new

SW UWA 6mm - opticaly great, some letters on barrel rubbed off

SW UWA 9mm - opticaly great, some letters on barrel rubbed off

SW 1.25 LP filter - almost like new

SW 2" LP filter - new

£62 pounds delivered to my house:D had to wait a month and had to put in a paypal item not recieved claim before i could get a responce from the seller though! but im chuffed with my frist ebay score in ages! lol..

Very nice. Tbh i'd given up on ebay, too many people who literally do it for a living. I'l start keeping an eye on it again, wants me a 200p soon :)

deffinatly some bargins to be had there, but they are quite few and far between with all the competition:(

Hey just noticed your in bournemouth too! good to see another locle member:)

Likewise :)

You part of the south coast astro group? We get together up in the new forest once in a while. I'm fairly new so only managed to get up there once, was pretty cool though ;)

i joined the group on sgl sometime ago but have not been able to get upto turf hill on a meet due to lack of transport atm:(

i have been to stoney cross airbase once just round the corner from turfhill, beautiful skys!:) id love to come down sometime...just need to buy a new car lol.

I remember trying to get cheap PC motherboard some years ago on Ebay. I was always shocked and dismayed at the high prices people seemed willing to pay - often close to new. After much time wasting and lost bids eventually I got two mobos from Dabs bargain section for less than half price (£15 each). They came complete with warranty and peace of mind from a major retailer and they're still working fine now.

I lost interest in ebay after that.

I've just bought a pair of Binolux 30x70 bins from eBay, for £35. Perfectly collimated and nice and sharp, too. Cheap enough to leave on a tripod in the garage, ready at hand to grab for a quick view. Excellent looking at Jupiter and Gallilean moons last night, despite the breeze.

Archived