NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

M31 The core revisited

pyrasanth

I continue to image the heart of M31 (my camera is not very wide so this sort of forces it anyway). I had the intention to capture the dust lanes & have tried various methods to achieve this. This is my second attempt. Let me know what you think.

Open the full image to savor the detail. This is a work in progress. I need more green & the HA blending needs looking at.

post-36426-0-82949300-1441502741_thumb.p

I'm not too fussed at present at the composition. This shot is more of a can it be done & it turned out far better than expected. The project can now move into the next phase which is fit as much of M31 into the frame as I can- so yes a rotation would have been good at the start but i guess we all make mistakes. I am also planning the purchase of an Atik 11000 on the RASA which will capture the whole of M31 & its companions with a similar level of detail on the same frame. That would be awesome but its the best part of £4500 so its a big commitment.

I've added the other 50 or so green subs & blended the HA channel into the the L. This gives a better less pronounced red so it's a bit more natural looking. I'm not sure if the purple at the top is a gradient. I can try Xterminator on it to see if it improves.

post-36426-0-94761600-1441537721_thumb.p

That's a nice image you have there but I do wonder if you are beginning to over process it a bit now. In the original you have lovely soft edges in the dust lanes but your latest version is beginning to look a bit harsh.  Maybe a combo of the two?

That's a nice image you have there but I do wonder if you are beginning to over process it a bit now. In the original you have lovely soft edges in the dust lanes but your latest version is beginning to look a bit harsh.  Maybe a combo of the two?

I see the observation. I need to do lots of experimentation & not rush. However the good thing is since I have the data I can play to my hearts content!

Really impressive.  I think I do just prefer the first version though, which is odd because I know you have added more data - the first version seems more 'natural' to me.  I am just starting out in this game and I am finding processing a real challenge.  I cannot resist the urge to add in a little curves adjustment here or the tiniest saturation boost there.  I convince myself that each step is a minor improvement, but by the end of the evening I look at my before and after and end up thinking I have made things worse.  

It would be nice if you could get that real 3D look that you achieved in the first version - I'm looking especially at the prominent dust lane in the foreground.

An ATIK 11000 would be great if your scope will allow you to capture a full-frame image.  Have you thought about constructing a mosaic?

Really impressive.  I think I do just prefer the first version though, which is odd because I know you have added more data - the first version seems more 'natural' to me.  I am just starting out in this game and I am finding processing a real challenge.  I cannot resist the urge to add in a little curves adjustment here or the tiniest saturation boost there.  I convince myself that each step is a minor improvement, but by the end of the evening I look at my before and after and end up thinking I have made things worse.  

It would be nice if you could get that real 3D look that you achieved in the first version - I'm looking especially at the prominent dust lane in the foreground.

An ATIK 11000 would be great if your scope will allow you to capture a full-frame image.  Have you thought about constructing a mosaic?

Thanks for your kind words. You make an interesting comment concerning the 3D effect. The original picture which you like has the red channel replaced with a full HA channel & this caused the dust lanes to literally pop forward. The images your not so keen on have the HA blended into the RED & i agree I like the first picture.

I also find I spend hours tweaking but not really getting anywhere better & in some instances worse but again results can be a matter of opinion.

The Atik 11000 will be fully illuminated on the RASA has it has a totally flat 80mm image circle so the results could potentially be spectacular although the result on my bank balance would be decimation-wish I picked a cheaper hobby. The thought of a mosaic turns my blood cold- that would be an extra 1000 images with the RASA- ouch!

Clear skies to all of us as the mantra chimes in the background.......

Archived