Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Skytee mount and tripod

Starcluster

Hi folks, I am excited to say that I have just ordered a skytee mount and tripod package from harris telescopes and am looking forward to it being delivered on Tuesday of next week. I bought this set up to mount a optic star 127 mm f9.5 refractor. I have also recently purchased a altair astro 2 inch quartz dielectric diagonal from wex photographic. Great service from these 2 retailers. I must say that the altair quartz diagonal looks and feels so much more substantial than the stock one that came with the optic star tube assembly , which I guess I was expecting , but seriously it does look and feel top quality. I did make some enquiries about this diagonal and the revelation branded one and of course they are the same , just branded differently. The altair is slightly cheaper in price. I am really looking forward to testing out the scope and diagonal when the skytee arrives. I did consider buying the eq5 equatorial mount, but decided on the skytee because I mainly want to do visual observing and I like the idea of being able to mount 2 telescopes ( in this case my vixen vmc 110 ) and the refractor , side by side.

• Replies 41
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Hi Starcluster and welcome to the forum. :)

You're putting a couple of fairly substantial scopes on the Skytee. You may want to consider changing the Skytee saddles for ADM saddles. They're quite expensive but well worth the extra cost being more beefy and solid locking than the flimsy Skytee ones. Checkout FLO's website for the ADM saddles and dovetails.

Excellent mount! Personally, I don't think the Vixen will need an ADM saddle- it's only little, but your 127 probably should have one. My Tal doesn't exert a heavy weight penalty and I'm happy with the SW saddles...for the time being :)

Hi 'Starcluster' and welcome to SGL.  :hello2:

You can't beat the 'Giro-type' mounts for ease of setup. No polar alignment, great for those grab 'n' go sessions, looks the part when you have a dual-scope setup. Only downside is when you want astro-photo's, (except for lunar or solar).

Hi Starcluster and welcome to SGL, you have some very nice gear coming your way soon and I would support Kim`s suggestion, that you might consider beefing up on the mount for the 127 by using an ADM saddle, enjoy the forum :)

Thhank's guys for the welcome and replies. I am hoping that I will not have to upgrade the saddle plate on the skytee, but I understand that I may have to, especially with the refractor tube as it weighs 16 lbs still I will see how I get on when the mount arrives.

Will attempt to post pics of the mounting plate on the optic star tube assembly with this blog.post-44413-0-85894700-1431101408_thumb.j

Hi Starcluster,

That looks like a great scope, the clamshell looks like the one supplied on the Bresser 127mm. It will take the scope with no bother, but you will feel way more secure with the ADM saddle. See pic below. This is my other mount an original skytee with my 127mm and 120mm on..

The addition of the mount extension saves my back too.

post-3788-0-46936600-1431106269_thumb.jp

Welcome to the forum :smiley:

The Skytee II is an excellent mount but I must add my voice to those suggesting upgrading the standard dovetail clamps. Personally I'd not trust them with a scope over a few lbs in weight. The thread within the tensioning knob tends to strip very easily because it's machined into soft alloy. You never quite know when it's going to give way - until it's too late  :shocked: 

Starcluster welcome to SGL

The Skytee 2 is a very good alt/az mount. I have improved the basic mount by adding slow motion cables and fitting an ADM saddle on the one side and a Baader saddle on the top - http://www.firstlightoptics.com/dovetail-bars/baader-vixen-style-dovetail-clamp.html

I have also bought a Berlebach Uni-18 tripod which provides a very positive base.

The dual mount is great for solar work with a 4" APO on the ADM saddle and a PST on the Baader. The ADM saddle easily holds my 8" Orion VX8 Newt.

Once against folks , thank's for making me feel welcome at the stargazers lounge. I am slowly working my way around this site, so hope i am responding in the right way. Yes brown dwarf and global moderator , I will take on board what you say about the adm saddle plate upgrade. I would not like the 16 lb refractor to fall off . Is there a specific one I should ask for ( in terms of size and length for the dove tail plate on the optic star . It is 8 inches long by 2 inches wides de previous pic. Thank's ...

Hi mark , I too was hoping to fit slow motion cable control to the skytee. Do they help ? The guy at Harrison telescopes said that they were not really needed as the clutch bearings are very smooth soyou hand move it , but I like to use them on my porta mount 2 and vixen 110 vmc. Besides surely , when viewing at high mag, surely you need fine controls.

Hi mark , I too was hoping to fit slow motion cable control to the skytee. Do they help ? The guy at Harrison telescopes said that they were not really needed as the clutch bearings are very smooth soyou hand move it , but I like to use them on my porta mount 2 and vixen 110 vmc. Besides surely , when viewing at high mag, surely you need fine controls.

These are my slow motion controls plus the ADM saddle. I prefer these extensions and as you can see one is longer than the other - works very well.

post-1628-0-80773100-1431187221_thumb.jp

Archived