SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

air in a can to get crud off of primary?

Ok, just got my 12" skyline dob from orion. She is a beast and I love her. Colimated today with no issues, but I noticed what looks like a huge hair? and a few specs of something on the primary. I know better than to touch the mirror. I also know that said crud will most likely have little effect on viewing. Having said that, if i were to try to use air in a can, would one of these be advisable or should I stay away from them? site says: Ultra-clean, no residue, non-abrasive, moisture-free gas for removing dust and other particulates from samples, microscopy slides, lenses, film, optical instruments, electronic parts, etc. in laboratory, service and manufacturing applications with jets of pin-pointed gas.

GUST Easy Duster GUST Spray Anyway 360° Duster

http://www.tedpella.com/cleaning_html/dusters.htm

thanks in advance for all coments

• Replies 28
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Knob hit the nail square on. That said: If anyone does have canned-"air" calling to them and they are all-fired intent on using it, always keep the can upright - and store it upright too - and only use a very short burst. Always test it first to be as certain as possible it doesn't spit-out any of it's chlorofluorocarbon-based propellant. And thank yourself for helping to add to global-warming and killing-off the ozone layer.

Clear Skies,

Dave

Thanks Dave. I read on a website that dry air was ok, but being a relative newb, I know to check in with you guys before doing anything. The weather is not great in Michigan right now, but I am looking forward to when I can take the new dob outside. My first and only telescope was a toy mead 3" refractor. I'm assuming the new dob will blow my mind by comparison. Hopefully the weather will get better soon. Thanks again to all.

Ok, this clears it up. From Wikipedia:

"

Gas duster, also known as canned air or compressed air, is a product used for cleaning electronic equipment and other sensitive devices that cannot be cleaned using water. Despite the name "canned air", the cans actually contain gases that are much easier to compress into liquids, such as 1,1-difluoroethane, 1,1,1-trifluoroethane, or 1,1,1,2-tetrafluoroethane. Hydrocarbons, like butane, were often used in the past, but their flammable nature forced manufacturers to use fluorocarbons. Some people believe referring to the contents as "air", compressed or otherwise, could be dangerously, even fatally misleading, if someone regards the contents as being safe to breathe in concentrated form.[citation needed][by whom?]

Hi everyone,

I use canned air extensively at times. But everything that has been said is correct!

When I use it I always keep the can upright. I move the equipment into a position that will enable the "air" to blow off the offending particles.

I always use a Rocket air blower first to see if that is enough. Then if a brief blast of the air is not enough, I decide whether or not it really needs cleaning. If it does, I either use a specially cleaned makeup brush to try to flick off the dirt/dust particles or Baader cleaning fluid and Kim Wipes. Distilled water can contain many contaminants. If you want to go that way use distilled and deionised  filtered water. If that does not work I resort to First Contact Polymer™ Solutions. This requires extreme care and time. You really need to follow the instructions very carefully.

I know that it is the accepted norm to say that you will not notice dust particles in your viewing, BUT that is not true when imaging. Every dust particle on a lens system will cause secondary reflections or diffracted light and will degrade the finished image to some extent. How much is acceptable, is for you to decide.

Regards,

Derek

I think Dave Loyd hit the nail on the head for me... lol. My concern is that I live in a humid area and that over time moisture will build up on this crud and attract more dust or mold. Thanks agin to every one who commented.

• 1 month later...

It was knobby's idea. It does work. I was able to get everything of the primary except for one tiny speck of crud that doesn't want to come off. I have also found a few more uses for this rocket blower. It was a good purchase. thanks again knobby-

I haven't dived in and bought a telescope yet, but I'm seriously considering getting one of those Rocket Blowers right now because it looks awesome! Don't know what I'll use it for yet, but I think I need one. I'm also impressed with 0030's secondary use of  his Dobson as a lamp stand, clever move mate. I wonder if I could convince Mrs Beagleboy to let me get a bigger aperture scope if I can find a 2nd use for it? Maybe dangle strings from it and claim it's a cat entertainment center?

Bought my pregnant wife one of those yoga balls to sit on. It came with an accordion style pump with long hose and conical valve (all thin plastic and uber cheap). Once the ball was inflated I immediately set about cutting down the hose to a couple of inches and I use this to blast away dust, It gets rid of most particles. I'll probably fond out that it's blasting more dirty particles on to my eyepieces than it's taking away but it does enough to cure my desire to keep cleaning everything.

"It does work. I was able to get everything of the primary except for one tiny speck of crud that doesn't want to come off."

Try a similar extension but with an artists very soft sable hair brush attached, but be very careful :)

Archived