Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

IC434 (horsehead) and Flame nebula - 3 pane mono mosaic

swag72

I've really not got too much imaging done so far this year. The weather here has been rather disappointing. I always wanted to capture the Horsehead when I had a longer focal length scope and so bit the bullet and started. Then realised I could mosaic it to the flame and get it in a nice pano format.

It was frankly AWFUL to stitch. PI wouldn't touch it as there just wasn't enough stars. The reflections from Alnitak....... Don't even go there. Interested to hear your thoughts, good, bad and indifferent.

Details
M: Avalon Linear Fast Reverse
T: AT8RC CF
C: QSI690-wsg with 3nm Ha filter
This is a 3 pane mosaic in total, all exposures are 1800s and this it totalling 20 hours of exposure.
post-5681-0-59929200-1425323874_thumb.jp

You can see a larger image here http://swagastro.weebly.com/images-gallery.html

Thanks very much all for looking and commenting. 

The panes aren't equal Lars. 16x1800s, 15x1800s and 9x1800s left to right. There was also a rather large moon when I was imaging the two right hand panes. Made for an awkward time all round.

That's the best controlled Alnitak That I've ever seen Sara, as you say it can be a right so and so to deal with, you should try it in broadband!!!!!

Really nice image, will you be adding to it?

Carole 

Thanks Fay and Olly - Much appreciated! 

Olly saw the original image prior to any processing and thanks to Alnitak the reflections were ............. interesting to say the least .................. Olly took one look at it and his words were 'unusable' - It's satisfying to have a decent image out of the mess that I started with :D

Thanks Fay and Olly - Much appreciated! 

Olly saw the original image prior to any processing and thanks to Alnitak the reflections were ............. interesting to say the least .................. Olly took one look at it and his words were 'unusable' - It's satisfying to have a decent image out of the mess that I started with :D

I clearly underestimated you, Sara!  :icon_salut:

Reflectors really do struggle with this part of the sky. We had things like air raid search lights beaming down from the Sigma Orionis group and a huge anti-Alnitak on the opposite side of the chip. Basically we had to snip out the Horse with nail scissors and throw the rest away with the 14 inch!

Olly

Archived