Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

February 6, 2015: First big mosaic with SM-II 60mm; 74 panes

michael.h.f.wilkinson

Managed to grab a whole lot of data this morning after sorting out problems with IR leakage. I ended up using the Coronado SM-II 60mm, the Lunt B1200 filter, the Daystar 63mm ERF, and a Baader 35nm H-alpha filter. No IR leakage anymore, great and much brighter views than with BF5. Data captured with FireCapture, stacked in AS!2, post-processed in ImPP (sigma = 1.8, 50 iterations of LR deconvolution + unsharp masking), and stitched with AutoStitch64. No postprocessing in Gimp in these. Meade 3x TeleXtender was used rather than 2.5x powermate, giving 1200mm rather than 1000.  This results in F/20, just under optimal for the little DMK.

file.php?id=10878&mode=view

With Gamma = 2.0: This brings out the proms

file.php?id=10879&mode=view

Some tweaks in Gimp:

file.php?id=10888&mode=view

Bit more unsharp masking:

file.php?id=10886&mode=view

Pseudo-colour added:

file.php?id=10887&mode=view

And inverted pseudo-colour:

file.php?id=10889&mode=view

Thanks everybody. I got 74 panes because I always want  a lot of overlap between panes. Stitching software works  MUCH better with a good degree of overlap. I overdid it a bit, and 40 panes should suffice at this scale. Looking forward to getting the ASI174 camera, however. That should allow me to cut back on the number of panes dramatically. This in turn would allow the use of a 3.75 or 4x telecentric or barlow to match image scale to the pixels optimally, and go to 10 Mpixel images :D

Archived