NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

Andromeda Widefield

Had a lovely run of clear skies night last week and captured plenty of data to practise my processing skills on, and took various test shots with different lenses. Here's a quick process of my first proper run on Andromeda:

14756775833_bda7dfe094_b.jpg

It's a crop of an image taken with my 50mm lens. As I was going to crop it down anyway I was less concerned about coma so I opened up the aperture a bit more. At f3.2 looking at the liveview I seemed to be getting chromatic aberration on the brighter stars, so I backed off to f3.5. Looking at the full frame the corners aren't bad, so I'm going to stick with f3.5 for my next target. I also managed to push my subs a bit longer, to 150 seconds. Can't remember exactly how many I took, but it's over an hour of data.

Pretty happy with it, there is a fair amount of detail in the dust lanes. However, I've seen better versions taken with much shorter subs, so either LP is dragging down my signal-to-noise ratio or my processing skills aren't up to scratch. I suspect it's both. :)

An LP filter and polar-scope are next on my shopping list, maybe in time for the next Moon cycle.

Also, here's a bonus Cassiopeia, taken with my 35mm Carl-Zeiss M42 lens at f4.5. It's a crop as LP gradients spoiled the full frame.

14733360671_c065aaee26_b.jpg

Can just make out the Pac-man nebula, and that's the double cluster at the lower left edge, with come other clusters around that area. I'm not sure what that bubble is to the right of Caph.

Both images are pretty good, more data would no doubt boost them.

I did about an hour on M31 the other night, to give you an idea here it is with the EF200mm L at f4.5, 300sec subs.

My processing leaves a lot to be desired but I did have a go with gradient exterminator and that worked nicely.

post-30455-0-26822500-1406970370_thumb.j

How long were your subs please?

150 seconds, which is probably a bit too long at f3.5 and ISO 800 in my local sky as the peak of the histogram was about half way across. It's just over an hour of data in total.

The Cassiopeia image was taken 180 second subs at f4.5, which comes out a bit less bright. It's 6 subs so 18 minutes in total.

Archived