Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Saturn's sats

nytecam

My 30cm scope's current 'fast' f/3.4 set-up @ 1030mm fl for capturing faint galaxies has too low an image scale for the planets like Saturn but ok to record the its satellites here in a brief snaps of 100ms [=1/10s].  Even 1/10s esp is too long to avoid disk burnout - the Saturn inset here is through thin cloud as a ND 'filter' grin.gif.

Used Carte du Ciel planetarium prog to ID the moons - Iapetus @ m11.3 recorded but Hyperion @ m14.3 not recorded - 250ms [=1/4s] did record it just.  Can you see some of Saturn's moons? :police:  

post-21003-0-43833900-1402913226.jpg

I've had some surprising successes by using a light blue filter which seems to knock saturn's glare down by a notch or two. This lets your eyes pick up the faint satellites.

5 seem fairly straightforward. There seem to be more floating in the "can't quite claim that as a spot" territory.

BTW - Sky & Telescope have brought out a simple Saturn app (very similar to their hugely popular Jupiter's Moons app). I've downloaded it but have yet to use it in anger.

Paul

• 2 weeks later...

with my 12.5" Dob Friday night.... using the 4.7mm 82* e.p. and a 2x Barlow (for 675x), I could clearly see 5 of Saturn's sats.    And there were moments I thought I was seeing a 6th but wasn't sure because my Dob is not motorized and the view is fleeting at that power.

If I remember rightly, I saw 5 with the Mak a few years back, the seeing was very good and I was up at x300 odd with a borrowed 13mm ethos. That led to the start of my Televue purchases I think!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• 3 weeks later...

Very nice  :smiley:

Saturn's moons are amazing, especially with large aperture where you can get more than 6 moons in one field of view. With Jupiter, seeing more than 4 moons is nearly impossible, but with Saturn, a 10 inch can show quite often 6 satellites, and even more, weather permitting  :smiley: .

Archived