NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

Esprit 80 Unboxing

Ok Fedex man has just been this morning and delivered my new Esprit 80 :-)

So without further ado, here is the unboxing

post-12165-0-03306900-1383051367_thumb.j

And inside the box is the travel case very good quality (Roady style with butterfly catches)

post-12165-0-08947800-1383051590_thumb.j

Inside the case you get everything packed

post-12165-0-67927700-1383051400_thumb.j

And the individual bits unpacked and the canon photo adapter is included  in the box :-)

post-12165-0-71814700-1383051419_thumb.j

post-12165-0-09169500-1383051422_thumb.j

post-12165-0-21949000-1383051424_thumb.j

post-12165-0-20364600-1383051426_thumb.j

post-12165-0-34897900-1383051428_thumb.j

And the contents of the flattener box

post-12165-0-55806000-1383051454_thumb.j

And it all back together in the travel case

post-12165-0-26983200-1383051456_thumb.j

Very nicely made, feels really nice and solid and the focus lock lever looks like a good idea.

Now what are the chances of a clear night tonight????
Cheers John

• Replies 110
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Feeling a bit :Envy: now..  seems I'm not getting one from this batch after all.. :sad:

Nice one John... and a clear sky too!! you are honoured..  It looks very nice & seems to be a similar size to the ZS71.  Is the flattener spacing 75mm as stated by SW US?

Hi Sp@ced

yes it looks like it is.  I have my canon on there which is 44mm back focus and I have the focuser racked out ~ 31 mm.  Enough room in there for me to put a filter wheel for Ha, Oiii and the lp filter. Currently have the lp filter (2" IDAS filter) screwed inline in in the canon dos adapter.

really nice quality and everything just feels solid.  especially like the focus lock - it is a lever theta you just push over and there is zero change of focus. :)

Don't worry rich - I'm working my way through 40 subs of M45.  Will do some Darks whilst waiting for M42 which is just coming around the back of the garage :-)  Will post the first sub when it comes in

This feels like its going to be a long night - and a tough day at work tomorrow !!!

Cheers John

Hi All, 

Managed to stack the images of M45 with Nebulosity this morning before going to work.   Haven't had time to process and no Darks or Flats (todo this evening)
So 40 subs of 180sec at ISO800 - just stacked  and no processing . Feel free to have a process or a look in the corners.  There are a couple of Dust bunnies from the camera( must get the blower on it)

uploaded the stacked FIT here (73Meg)

You missed the last FedEx collection yesterday Gina so it has been dispatched today for delivery tomorrow :smiley:

Steve

Thank you Steve :)  I realise what happened now.  We were having a power cut when Stephen phoned and it was off for 3 hours altogether and didn't come on until about 4:30pm.  Then I went online and paid for the scope.  I presume you didn't send it off until you had payment - this I quite understand.  So I can blame the delay on the power cut.  I'm afraid I was a bit miffed at missing last night's clear sky to try out the scope :(

I'm just lucky that I live about 35 miles from the Skywatcher distributer near Bury st Edmunds.  Even so it took a road trip via Ispwich, Milton Keynes and Cambridge to get here.

It was the power cut that was my bad luck as I said above - glad you got your's though and had a chance to try it out on the same day - that must be a record :)

Great images John :)  I'll download the FITS files later - maybe overnight - as we have a very slow "broadband" connection here - around half to one megabit per second :(

It was the power cut that was my bad luck as I said above - glad you got your's though and had a chance to try it out on the same day - that must be a record :)

New scope, clear night, moon that didn't rise until 2-30pm.  Don't think I could have wished for better :-)

very heavy dew here last night and I didn't have dewstrap on.  But glad to report that the built in dew shield managed to keep everything clear.

Hi Guy,

uploading to dropbox  here  https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/49530954/M45-180_022.fit

will take 10 mins or so to upload.

not fully flat right in the corners under high zoom.  Interested in your thoughts though.

John

Looks like a case of focus being just a gnats wisker on one side of the sweet spot, F/5 is tricky when hand focusing, make a wand for the fine focus adjuster, that way you can very gently make micro adjustments.. Coctail stick and elestic band :)

You have to rule out tilt as its all screw fitted..  take a few images, rotate the rear 90 then 180 degrees and see if stars round up...  For £1,000+ it should be very flat!

Hmmm, not by any means flat as it stands. Looking at the fullsize the left hand side is off by quite a way, showing coma-like distortion. The right hand side is much better though not perfect.

This could be tilt even though things are screw fit because the camera could have some chip tilt, though the rotation test would clarify things, as suggested above.

It could also be chip distance because, in theory, that should have a symmetrical effect but from experience this isn't always how it really works out. If there are minor imperfections which wouldn't matter on their own a chip distance issue could exaggerate them into this kind of effect.

To be continued, no doubt.

Olly

It may well have something to do with focus. I have some images of M31 which was further out of focus and it had coma on both sides of the image. I further refined the focus when I got to M42 and that is better on the left hand side too.   To be sure on the next test, i will remove the filter to take some test images, so that is out of the equation too.

It will be interesting to see what results Gina gets - to see if she has anycoma towards the edges

Cheers John

I shall be using a smaller sensor than you John so won't be going as far from centre.  However, I expect to have a 450D DSLR, converted to mono and setpoint cooled to try out in due course.  I would expect this scope with flattener to work well with a DSLR, easily covering an APS-C size frame.  It is supposed to cover full frame I gather.

Archived