Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Russian Space Telescope on E.Bay

John

I like the bit that says:

"A good high-quality telescope for observing celestial objects from the ground."

You would have to have some major modifications made to use it to observe through. Pretty sure the Russians didn't have a person looking through it making sketches of what they saw.

And at 153Kg (330-340lb) not really grab and go, hernia and hospital maybe.

Um...if one went for $140K what's he doing selling for £850-odd?

The language used in the description, whilst nominally English reads as though it's been translated from Russian into Double-Dutch via Korean.

I'd give it a wide berth myself.

Surely there must be more appropriate auction methods than eBay... Where did you see the minimum prices of 50k, or was that a guess John?

It was originally in is "To the Buyers" notes but he has removed that now. Perhaps e.bay told him that he had to put a £50K reserve or starting price on it if he was serious about that figure. That would have pushed up his listing fees somewhat !

Given that it has clearly made it back to earth twice in one piece, I would imagine that it's collimation will be good enough for when I travel around with it on the back seat of my car - could be a selling point? :grin:

There is no way I could that in the house with my better half seeing it!

James

I met some LZOS sales people this month and have seen some photos of the LZOS factory. There seemed to be a lot of these lenses in production at times. I guess the Russian military must have ordered many of them over the years.

In fact they are still on the LZOS website if you want a new one:

http://lzos.ru/en/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=22&Itemid=36

It was originally in is "To the Buyers" notes but he has removed that now. Perhaps e.bay told him that he had to put a £50K reserve or starting price on it if he was serious about that figure. That would have pushed up his listing fees somewhat !

Thanks for clarifying John.

The fees make me wonder why people use eBay for such (potentially) high priced items. Maybe it's to reach a global audience... and/or to get in the news for free advertising...

The fees make me wonder why people use eBay for such (potentially) high priced items. Maybe it's to reach a global audience... and/or to get in the news for free advertising...

I thought ebay is quite a cheap way to sell when it comes to very expensive items.

Ebay charges 10% commission for all purchase, but cap it at £75. (i.e. if your item sells for more than £750, the max commission you pay is £75)

The reserve price fee is 3%, but cap at £150

If that scope sells for £120k(€140k), then the total he has to pay ebay is £75 (auction) + £150 (reserve) = £225 (or 0.19% of the final price). This is a fraction of he will have to pay if he sells it at an auction house.

Archived