Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

What to observe when the Moon is Full

Ganymede12

I think It would be nice to have a list of objects that can be observed, even under a full moon.

Double stars, Star clusters, planets?

State as many objects you want just include the constellation and don't post an item that's already be listed.

Maybe we could create the first Anti-Lunar 100 map?

So first of all:

1) Albiero

2) Alcor/Mizar

3) Jupiter

any more?

Other than planets, the sort of list to go for would be objects considered viewable in heavy light pollution, e.g. the U.S. Astroleague "urban program" of DSOs and double/variable stars:

http://www.astroleag...an/urbanld.html

http://www.astroleag...an/urbanls.html

Personally I never try looking at DSOs in bright moonlight, I don't consider it worth the effort. I just wait for moonless conditions so I'll get a decent view.

Jupiter is very close to the Moon right now. Well worth looking at. Especially in the wee hours of the morning when it's the closest.

Listen to myself. :D The only time I get interested in going out to observe is when the moon's not up...

Just got in from a quick viewing session with my new Skymaster 15x70 bino's- now tripod mounted and have to say what a difference it makes!!

Jupiter and it moons nicely aligned ,the full moon looks amazing and nice clear skies all around, would like to try my Orion starshoot solar system color imager iv but really too tired to setup laptop , scope etc,,,,,,,,,,

maybe try tomorrow?

i dont bother observing if the moon is close to full on either phase unless its low in the sky,i used to but had a really wasted night once and it annoyed the hell out of me enough to not bother again.

Am i imagining it, or is there some sort of trend that dictates that cloud-free nights mainly appear when the moon is fullest?

Tonight was my first pretty cloud free night with my scope, ETX90.

Jupter was amazing, first time me and the missus have ever viewed a real live planet and i was most impressed!!

Tried to see andromeda (as you do!) and it was a mooned away!

We got quite a good view at the orion nebula aswell though!

For a noobie to this stuff i still found plenty to see! The scope is a definate step up from the bins!!!

I hate it when an original poster's question veers off course. So....

Double OC in Perseus

M42 in Orion (not great but detectable)

M57 in Lyra

M13 in Hercules

In fact, there are many objects observable with a full Moon - it's just that they are not as impressive during a full Moon but still observable. I like crashing the believed myth that if the Moon is out, forget observing. Not true! Well, in badly light polluted skies but that's an exception :rolleyes:

Archived