Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Skywatcher Evostar 80 ED DS PRO OTA

FLO

The Skywatcher Evostar 80 ED changed the market when it was launched and quickly became the most popular and most recommended imaging refractor. With an ED element from Ohara FPL-53 ED glass and a matching Crown element from German Schott glass in a bomb-proof lens cell (that bit is just as important as the optics) the Evostar 80 ED has set an optical benchmark, at it's price, and often out-performs telescopes costing considerably more.

Skywatcher also offer an optically-matched 0.85x reducer/flattener for imaging at f6.37

However, the latest model Skywatcher Evostar 80ED DS PRO is only available as a bundle which includes an aluminium case, diagonal, eyepiece and finderscope. Those wanting a telescope for a mix of visual and imaging will appreciate the bundle and benefit from the low price but imagers wanting only the OTA are not so pleased.

We have begun splitting the bundle into it's individual components so you can now order an Evostar 80ED DS PRO OTA from our website for £349.

Skywatcher Evostar 80 ED DS PRO OTA

You will receive the telescope with tube-rings and dovetail bar (the finderscope, diagonal, etc are not included).

It will be brand new officially sourced UK stock, will include the full UK warranty and have the latest specification with dual-speed focuser.

Please note, because we are splitting bundles the telescope will be packaged in one of our own boxes (don't worry, it'll be sturdy with plenty of packaging).

If you are looking for an affordable refractor with high optical performance for astrophotography, you have found it :smiley:

skywatcher_ed80_ds_pro_ota.jpg

Good move.. I never understood why SW stopped making the OTA only option available in the UK when it's still being sold as such in other countries?

It's a long and frustrating story...

Anyhow, if you see an Evostar 80 ED with dual-speed focuser available abroad then it is either a single-speed model that has been upgraded or they are doing the same as us - splitting a kit.

When our UK competitors start doing the same you will remember we were first. Won't you? :grin:

Would the Equinox Pro be better? Reason I ask is the FLO website states "The EVOSTAR DS-PRO Series ED Apochromatic refractors in their new Black-Diamond livery feature the same premium optics as the Skywatcher Equinox series, making them superb instruments for both imaging and visual observations. "

What makes the Equinox Pro more expensive?

Ta

Paul

What makes the Equinox Pro more expensive?

The Evostar 100 ED and Equinox 100 have identical optics, as do the Evostar 120 ED and Equinox 120 (for this reason the Equinox series can use the same optically matched focal reducer/flatteners, with an adapter).

The Equinox 80 and Evostar 80ED both feature Ohara FPL53 and Schott glass but the Equinox has a faster f6.25 optic compared to the Evostar 80 ED's f7.5 (so cannot use the Evostar 80ED's focal reducer/flattener).

The most significant difference is the Evostar ED series have workmanlike rolled steel tubes and cast alloy components. The Equinox are more 'posh' with CNC machined aluminium tube and components. The Equinox series also have rotatable focusers.

Written in haste so will check for typos later :smiley:

HTH,

Steve

i read the first post and i was just about to write "so does this mean you have cases for ed80s?". and i see the answer is... "yes".

will these be around for a while? you're not going to run out are you? (i'm thinking of what i want for christmas.)

Slightly off topic but while you're at it...

I was torn between them when I got my 80ED from you (before they discontinued the tube only option) So if the Equinox is f6.25 (which requires the reducer to achieve on the Evostar 80ED). Is there a reducer/flattener that'll work with the Equinox 80 to make it even faster?

Whats the world coming to, mostly cloudy nights, now we are going to suffer "typo's" as well.....

:grin:

Nice one steve ive been looking for a case for my ED80 :smiley: expect my order shortly !!!!!

:icon_salut:

will these be around for a while? you're not going to run out are you? (i'm thinking of what i want for christmas.)

Yes, there is no problem with supply atm but the busy season has begun so it is probably best you email us to arrange that we put one aside for you.

I was torn between them when I got my 80ED from you (before they discontinued the tube only option) So if the Equinox is f6.25 (which requires the reducer to achieve on the Evostar 80ED). Is there a reducer/flattener that'll work with the Equinox 80 to make it even faster?

I hear the Televue TRF 2008 is a good match for the Equinox 80 but we aren't a Televue dealer so cannot confirm that.

HTH,

Steve :smiley:

AP is an expensive game but here one of the three key components, the scope, can be had at a phenomenally low price with respect to its considerable performance. I've been mystified by the disappearance of the OTA only. Also worth checking on the Bird Forum digiscoping section to see what this instrument does in that guise as well. You'll be amazed... https://www.google.f...iw=1536&bih=764

Olly

• 11 months later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Archived