NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

Roll off shed not roof

andyo

Hi all,

Scope has been out of action for a few months as i have been building a roll off shed.Now its completed thought I would post it as it may help others who are

thinking of building a similar thing.

First after the planning its to build the pier base.although it only measures 17" squared at the surface its shaped a bit like a pyramid so at the base its just short of 3ft squared and 3ft deep.Its also been reinforced with several rebars.The pier itself will be an altair astro 8"skyshed pier.Next it was the patio area this measured 16.5ft x 7.5 ft using 18" flags.

5flaggingareamarkedout.jpg

7arealevelled.jpg

12completewithstepsforwheeliebin.jpg

piercomplete.jpg

After ordering a reasonably priced flatpack shed and reinforcing the pannels I started work on the subframe.I should mention all the wood I treated using either ronseal fence life or ronseal 5year woodstain and varnish.The subframe was made from 3"x3"x6ft pressure treated fence posts.Each joint was screwed together using two screws per joint (zinc plated and yellow passivated) then reinforced using the 6"brackets on every join.

oneordinarypanelandonereinforced.jpg

subframe.jpg

sizeofcastorsandcornerbrackets.jpg

I used 16 polyurethene fixed castors (in hindsight maybe swivel would have been better).Each castor has a load bearing of 100kg.The castors where screwed to the subframe using stainless steel screws.The shed floor was reinforced considerably cut to size to fit around the pier and then I fitted a lift up hatch that will bolt down when closing the shed.The floor and then castors where screwed to the subframe

floortreatedreinforcedandcuttosize.jpg

floorwithwheelsandfrontdoorhatchfitted.jpg

Next this was tested on temporary tracks.stainless steel eyebolts where fitted to the front and back so as I could join the rope for pulling the shed.This meant the strain would be on the subframe and not on the shed.

The tracks I wanted to be in two sections one section would be screwed to the flags using raw plugs and builders epoxy resin these would be where the shed sits when not in use.Then the other section which would be removable and could be stored in the shed itself.(the first section was screwed down as these could then be removed for future mantainance).The removable tracks would bolt to the front tracks to stop sideways movement and the back end

i placed a 7mm bolt in the centre.In the flags i drilled 4 7mm holes for the track bolts to sit in this would prevent forward/back movement and meant the tracks would be placed in exactly the same place each time.The tracks themselves where made from 4"x1"x6.5ft planks (pressure treated and also used Ronseal fence life).Then 1" batons where screwed to the sides to act as guides.

floorreadyfortrialrun.jpg

floorwitheyebolts.jpg

tracksnearcompletion.jpg

Then it was time to build the shed.The subframe was placed on the tracks,I had fitted a dropdown bolt on one side to anchor it, when completed I would fit two dropdown bolts one on each side this not only anchors the shed but ensures it is returned to exactly the same position, stops it wandering against the guides.

shedpartbuilt.jpg

When complete the hempex rope was fitted (hempex is weatherproof).Power cable attached with rcd adapter.I also have a desiccant de-hunidifier in there

to keep the equipment dry.

rearofshedwithremovabletracksandhempexrope.jpg

shedrearfittedwithpowercableandrolledback.jpg

shedopenreadytouse.jpg

shedpackedawayreadytoshut.jpg

rearwhenfinishedwithtracksremoved.jpg

Then finaly security! LOL

finalysecurity.jpg

security.jpg

I hope this helps and any questions I wil do my best to answer.Thanks for looking

• Replies 26
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Nice build. I'm looking at a variety of options for an new obsy when we finally move. Roll-off shed being one. Given the high winds etc we have been getting lately what form of 'hold-down' do you have? Even though the build looks solid and probably weighs a fair bit, I'd be slightly worried about it remaining in the tracks - just a thought...

Nice build. I'm looking at a variety of options for an new obsy when we finally move. Roll-off shed being one. Given the high winds etc we have been getting lately what form of 'hold-down' do you have? Even though the build looks solid and probably weighs a fair bit, I'd be slightly worried about it remaining in the tracks - just a thought...

Hi francis,if you look at the last few photos with the dogs ,look at the front right and left wings there you will see galvanised drop down bolts.These not only go through the tracks but also through the flags as well,all in all about 3" into the ground(including tracks) the winds would have to be so strong to shift the shed from these bolts that i would be more concerned about the

roof on the house.I can certainly assure you that this method of anchoring the shed will keep it firmly in its place on the tracks.Hope this answers your question

...look at the front right and left wings there you will see galvanised drop down bolts.These not only go through the tracks but also through the flags as well,all in all about 3" into the ground....

I see your bolts but they just drop into holes they dont actually 'hold anything down' and they are only at one end of the obsy. I admit with your build the chances of the shed being moved by the wind would be small - I thought that with an early shed of mine until I had to ask a neighbour if I could 'ave me shed back one morning, and that was nailed down to sleepers set into the ground - pulled the nails out quite cleanly!

I'd just hate to see all your work ruined because the obsy tipped over

I see your bolts but they just drop into holes they dont actually 'hold anything down' and they are only at one end of the obsy. I admit with your build the chances of the shed being moved by the wind would be small - I thought that with an early shed of mine until I had to ask a neighbour if I could 'ave me shed back one morning, and that was nailed down to sleepers set into the ground - pulled the nails out quite cleanly!

I'd just hate to see all your work ruined because the obsy tipped over

Yes see what your saying andI know there are no certanties,but again it would have to be a wind of severe huricane proportions (that would probably damage the shed anyway) to blow it over.Two reasons for this the main one being the weight of the floor,imagine 7 6ft 3"x3"s plus the reinforced floor itself Two of us struggled to move the completed floor 20 metres from the garage having to stop several times for a rest(this should give some idea of its weight).Also the bolts go so deep that the shed would have to be lifted an inch or so of the groung to tilt it over.It needs the 16 wheels not only for floor support but to be able to move it.

seriously it would be far easier to blow the average everyday shed over than this thing.I will put a further post up after we have had some severe wind to let people know how it gets on.

Thanks for your comments and concern they are much appreciated,(I saw a few pics of someone whos obsy had blown away before I built this,I think it was on a forum could have been the early shed of yours) .P.S if you built a later model what method did you use to anchor it down?

I think you may have seen the roof section of Gina's that got carried away....

My present obsy has concrete wall foundations and the wall plates and wall sections are all bolted into the concrete foundations (once bitten!)

I was just about to mention that Francis :D I had never dreampt that a gust of wind could lift a setion of shed, that took two strong men to lift, clean off and carry it 20 yards before dumping it upside down on the fence.

Great job. Really nicely done. Thanks for sharing the progress pics. I'm in the planning stages of something very similar too and was wondering what size shed this is? I'm pondering a 6x6' to house my mount & scope. You also mention using swivel casters with hindsight, why is this? Cheers.

Great job. Really nicely done. Thanks for sharing the progress pics. I'm in the planning stages of something very similar too and was wondering what size shed this is? I'm pondering a 6x6' to house my mount & scope. You also mention using swivel casters with hindsight, why is this? Cheers.

Hi,

It is a 6ftx6ft shed.I am still unsure if swivel castors would be better.The reason I thought maybe swivel was it would be easier to manouvre the shed back into the exact position for the drop down bolts and also if the castors run against the guides they will realign themselves.The downside is the price

Such a nice build. Im not particularly skilled in carpentry myself but am a little better at metal work and also just completed my own roll off shed version that is not quite as pretty but does the job none the less. You can see all the pictures and and description on my blog http://astrofascination.blogspot.co.uk/ I had a rather more exposed location for my build that is prone to occasional high winds so the build i went for was more suited to this.

Such a nice build. Im not particularly skilled in carpentry myself but am a little better at metal work and also just completed my own roll off shed version that is not quite as pretty but does the job none the less. You can see all the pictures and and description on my blog http://astrofascinat...blogspot.co.uk/ I had a rather more exposed location for my build that is prone to occasional high winds so the build i went for was more suited to this.

Just had a look at your shed and it is superb,also like the rails.See what you mean about it being more exposed it looks like it will keep the chill out in winter.I have to say you appear to have some expert metalwork skills,great build

• 1 year later...

Hi just an update as I promised as over a year has now gone by.The obsy is still intact and as good as the day it was built.It has been very solid during high winds(this is in a fenced garden)with no problems regarding it remaining in the tracks.The fixed casters have also been fine and anyone thinking of building an observatory be it roll of roof or shed my advice would be "go for it" well worth the time and effort.

ps. the security are also doing fine

Looks good. Bet your setuptime is much reduced!

Do the tracks hold water?

I can set up within 10 minutes as well as take down in about the same time.No the tracks don't hold water at all it is slightly sloped for drainage.

• 3 years later...
On 05/07/2017 at 21:20, uhb1966 said:

completely OT but i just *love* your dogs :)

I am sorry to say that the big golden coloured one passed away last January however the other dog is doing just fine and enjoying life very much 

I'm currently nearing completion of my roll off hut (whole half of the hut will roll off the peir) observatory so the topic grabbed my attention.

Unfortunately I can't see the pictures, just a logo stating to update my account so I didn't see your pics. 

My design is a stable storage/computer area back half and roll off front half where the whole housing rolls off the telescope on the pier.

Glad to see that there is someone else with a similar idea.

Archived