Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Help its Stuck !!!

Well this is a bit of a false alarm as i have unstuck it, however I am sure many of us have got various adapters jammed etc,

Id really like some advice though on.

a) how to prevent jamming.

b ) how to unjam. ( I do have a few other bits and bobs)

My recent success was to leave the two jammed parts in a cup of boiling water, the play with them, it just poped free, I presume when one of the adapter shrunk a touch more than the other did.

If its a jammed filter then scopestuff do a filter removal tool.

Hot water often works as well or failing that freezing the components. Course you cant immerse an EP in hot water or freeze it. The key to jammed filters is always to turn the filter on its threads without putting undue pressure onto its metal cell towards the middle which can often make things worse. Tough to explain in text but basically when you grip a filter its all too easy to apply pressure which pushes the filter edge towards the centre which is exactly what you dont want to do as you will risk distorting the filters metal cell and gamming the threads up even more.

What I do is every time I get a new EP/Filter etc I try all possible combinations - so if I bought say a 1.25" Violet filter I would try it on every EP in my kit that has a 1.25" thread and also include diagonals, extension tubes etc. Just to make sure there is no binding issues on anyting (never has been so far).

In the filed I never screw a filter in very tight - just loosely into the EP barrel. After a few turns theres no way it can detach itself but I screw it to the stop and then back off a mite.

Never had one jam yet.

Do any of these suggestions work if you get your head stuck in the end of the telescope tube whilst trying to fish out the allen key which you use to tighten the secondary!

No, but you could go on Britain's got talent as a robot jedward...

Do any of these suggestions work if you get your head stuck in the end of the telescope tube whilst trying to fish out the allen key which you use to tighten the secondary!

Maybe you should try putting show polish on your head before you stick it down the tube :grin:

Archived