Welcome to Stargazers Lounge
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!
Photo

ADM Losmandy saddle

- - - - -

• Please log in to reply
28 replies to this topic

Zodiacal_Light

Zodiacal_Light

Nebula

• New Members
  • 33 posts
I'm thinking of getting one of these for my SkyWatcher EQ6 Pro mount: http://www.admaccess...ual_Saddles.htm It would replace the stock Vixen saddle.

For the bar I was thinking of getting one of these: http://www.admaccess...s_Universal.htm (31")

My current scope is a Orion XT10i reflector, but due to the thin Vixen bar it's wobbling quite badly when touched. I'm imaging using this scope and notice quite a bit of flexure on 5min subs. Would this replacement cure this and provide a more stable platform or am I just wasting my money?

Edited by Zodiacal_Light, 10 June 2012 - 04:44 PM.

m.tweedy

m.tweedy

Sub Dwarf

• Advanced Members
  • 1,739 posts
I have them both and the extra rigidity is noticeable. You cannot go wrong. Just ensure you get the right puck.
Michael
:iamwithstupid:

Zodiacal_Light

Zodiacal_Light

Nebula

• New Members
  • 33 posts
Which scope are you using them with? I checked and my puck is the newer style.

m.tweedy

m.tweedy

Sub Dwarf

• Advanced Members
  • 1,739 posts
C11 and NEQ6 Pro
Michael

Zodiacal_Light

Zodiacal_Light

Nebula

• New Members
  • 33 posts
Thanks. Another thing I'm wondering about, what's the total weight of your setup like?

m.tweedy

m.tweedy

Sub Dwarf

• Advanced Members
  • 1,739 posts
HEAVY about 20 kg fully loadedIMG_0688fb.jpg
Michael

Zodiacal_Light

Zodiacal_Light

Nebula

• New Members
  • 33 posts
WOW, quite a setup!

m.tweedy

m.tweedy

Sub Dwarf

• Advanced Members
  • 1,739 posts
not exactly grab and go is it.
Michael

Zodiacal_Light

Zodiacal_Light

Nebula

• New Members
  • 33 posts
Depends, how strong are you? :grin:

m.tweedy

m.tweedy

Sub Dwarf

• Advanced Members
  • 1,739 posts
20 kg for the scope, 20 kg counterweights, 21 kg mount head and 10 kg for the tripod and pier. Too much for me I am afraid.
Michael

dmahon

dmahon

Sub Dwarf

• Advanced Members
  • 1,809 posts
The NEQ6 (inc. tripod and 2x standard counterweights) is 33.7Kg, without the scope, so that lot will be heavy!

EDIT: (Just) beaten to it.

Edited by dmahon, 10 June 2012 - 06:46 PM.

Mount: NEQ6
Scope: Equinox 80
Cameras: SXVR-H694, Lodestar

Obsy: Pulsar Dome with Shelyak Dome Tracker

Earl

Earl

Court Jester

• Advanced Members
  • Pip
  • 7,151 posts
Something to consider is the tube rings, will they still only contact on a single point on each? I dont see moving over to losmandy mounting with a single attachment really helping that much with stability as this is still going to be the weakest point.

AP900GTO | Takahashi 106ED Reduced | QSI 683 WSG-8 Astrodon LRGB Ha OIII SII | Lodestar X2 Ikharos 8" Truss RC | Sbig ST-8XE | Astrodon Ha LRGB | Canon 200m F2.8 stopped to F4 with a QHY8 in a Pulsar Dome
EQ6 | Williams ZS71 | ATIK 314L+ | Baader LRGB, HA, OIII, SII Lodestar finder Guider in a roll of shed on a cut down SW Pier Celestron C9.25 DMK 618

forecast.png

Merlin66

Merlin66

Sub Giant

• Advanced Members
  • Pip
  • 9,681 posts
For the C11/ NEQ6pro/ Spectroscope combo I changed to the wider Losmandy dovetail and a mandatory Safety Stop bar.
The saddle on the NEQ6 was also upgraded to the much better Geopiks version - this clamps across a longer length of the dovetail than the original SW clamps screws etc.
I've been using this set-up for the past year with no issues/ no problems.

Attached Thumbnails

• 001.JPG

"Astronomical Spectroscopy-The Final Frontier" -to boldly go where few amateurs have gone before.

C11, NEQ6pro, DMK41AF04, ATik314L+, 1000D modded, SM60DS/BF15, 102mmPST, Spectra-L200 and other Spectroscope(s).
"Astronomical Spectroscopy for Amateurs", "Grating Spectroscopes -How to use them" - Springer
http://tech.groups.y...l_spectroscopy/

Zodiacal_Light

Zodiacal_Light

Nebula

• New Members
  • 33 posts

Something to consider is the tube rings, will they still only contact on a single point on each? I dont see moving over to losmandy mounting with a single attachment really helping that much with stability as this is still going to be the weakest point.

Yeah, I'm considering getting some Parallax rings later on. My main problem now is that the current dovetail only supports the middle part of the scope, so the tube flexes. A longer dovetail should support the majority of the tube.

r3i

r3i

Sub Dwarf

• Advanced Members
  • 1,566 posts

HEAVY about 20 kg fully loadedIMG_0688fb.jpg

Fantastic setup Michael :icon_salut: .

I got the ADM saddle upgrade for my EQ6 and think it has been worth the money - adds versatility and provides a bigger gripping surface area.

Michael: Don't want to hijack the thread, but noticed that you have the EVO counterweight shaft upgrade on your mount - has this been a worthwhile upgrade?

Mike

Scopes : Altair Astro 8" RC : SkyMax 180 : IKI 70ED F6 Mount : NEQ6 Pro + EQDIR
Cameras : QHY8L + Meade DSI1 + Orion OAG : SXV-H9 : Philips TouCam Pro 2 Software : ASCOM 6 - EQMOD - CdC - AT- PHD - Nebulosity 3 - PS CS3

Zakalwe

Zakalwe

White Dwarf

• Advanced Members
  • 3,347 posts
I wouldn't trust a big OTA like the C11 to the standard puck, especially if you are using the smaller dovetails too.

I've upgraded mine to the ADM. Pricey for what it is, but it makes a heck of a difference. Although I haven't tried DSO imaging on the C11, i do feel that the EQ6 is on its limitis with a such a big OTA. The slightest wind will cause it to move, though if you are in an obsy then you would get a lot of protection

Michael: Don't want to hijack the thread, but noticed that you have the EVO counterweight shaft upgrade on your mount - has this been a worthwhile upgrade?

I'd also be interested in this. Again, it looks like an expensive upgrade, but the standard counterweight bar on mine "flops" at a certain angle.

My Website

Scopes: Lunt L60Tha D/S with BF1200, Celestron C11, Altair Wave 115mm Refractor
Cameras: DMK21au618, Chameleon mono, Atik 428EX, Xagyl FW and Baader LRGB, Starlight Xpress Filterwheel and Baader LRGB, astro-modded 1100D
Mounts: EQ8, Skymemo portable, Sky Watcher Star Adventurer.

ampleamp

ampleamp

Proto Star

• Advanced Members
  • 531 posts
another +1 for the ADM puck/saddle, an excellent combination imo
KBO

dmahon

dmahon

Sub Dwarf

• Advanced Members
  • 1,809 posts
I'd wait until the puck sizing problem is sorted though (some of the recent ones, including mine, haven't fitted - they are about 2mm too large).

I have a temporary machined puck that does (but I don't have an imperial allen key so that I can switch the saddle onto the puck - have ordered a cheap one from Amazon)

Mount: NEQ6
Scope: Equinox 80
Cameras: SXVR-H694, Lodestar

Obsy: Pulsar Dome with Shelyak Dome Tracker

m.tweedy

m.tweedy

Sub Dwarf

• Advanced Members
  • 1,739 posts

I wouldn't trust a big OTA like the C11 to the standard puck, especially if you are using the smaller dovetails too.

I've upgraded mine to the ADM. Pricey for what it is, but it makes a heck of a difference. Although I haven't tried DSO imaging on the C11, i do feel that the EQ6 is on its limitis with a such a big OTA. The slightest wind will cause it to move, though if you are in an obsy then you would get a lot of protection

I'd also be interested in this. Again, it looks like an expensive upgrade, but the standard counterweight bar on mine "flops" at a certain angle.

It may look (and probably is a bit expensive) BUT I am placing up to 20 kg of counterweights on it. It is a wider diameter (25 cms) and feels right. The old one started to bend and that's not good. WORTH EVERY PENNY (and looks good). Just remember that it does not slide into the body of the mount but is unscrewed when stripping down the mount. When you consider the cost of what we have swinging off the other end it does not seem so expensive after all.

Edited by m.tweedy, 11 June 2012 - 06:49 PM.

Michael

billhinge

billhinge

Proto Star

• Advanced Members
  • 763 posts
Believe it or not I have a C11 on a CG5 with the ADM saddle and Farpoint Losmandy dovetail. Quite a noticeable improvement, enough to do planetary video

stick some sorbathane blocks between dovetail and OTA and they will dampen your tube vibration too

Attached Thumbnails

• saturn10bitrawedit.jpg

Celestron C11 & Altair Wave Series 80mm F6 Super ED Triplet APO with Altair 10x60 finder; interchangeably mounted on CG5-ASGT (yes you can mount 30lbs+ on a CG5 ;-)
Old Fullerscope Export 3" f15 refractor and MkIII mount as my Arduino & Servo based "Internet of Things" project ;-)
Opticron waterproof 20x80 Binoculars

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users