Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Holiday travel scope

This is a description of my latest (and hopefully final!) travel kit which I can take abroad with me. It has all bases covered, including solar white light and Ha, plus standard Astro.

The scopes

The basis of the kit is the Tak FS-60C, a 60mm fluorite doublet which is very light and can be easily disassembled for travel. I am using this with the short CSV tube which at 105mm long vs the standard 145mm makes it even more compact. It is really a remarkably small yet capable little scope in this format. I had expected to need extension tubes but basically I have this covered off in the modified prism diagonal I use.

http://www.takahashi-europe.com/en/FS-60C.specifications.php

0d0a44c95711382141b75a7a374f86b2.jpg

With the 60, I normally use an upgraded the Feathertouch FTF2015BCR-LW which is lovely, the LW standing for lightweight. For the purposes of this kit however, I will use the FTF2025BCR which has the extra inch of travel and ensures I can reach focus with all combinations.

To give me some extra aperture, I can fit the 76mm Objective upgrade which I use in my FC-76DC. This just screws onto the OTA in place of the 60mm and takes it from 60/f5.9/355mm to 76/f7.5/570mm.

e503f6ce65dcee35c3f2c4e46503400d.jpg

The whole assembly is very light, and because it is modular fits into a small case easily to carry on board. I use the Tak Clamshell which is quite rigid enough for these tubes, plus a short TV dovetail to fit the mount (thank you Shane)

In terms of mounts, I use a Giro-WR. This is a very lightweight mount, around 1kg including the built-in clamp, but can carry loads of 9kg. At home I use either a second clamp, or a counterweight shaft both of which screw into the same thread on the alt axis, but for travel I just take the mount and use one scope at a time. I did however need to find a solution for an RDF and SolFinder. I achieved this by using a second short CW bar with the Telepak1 holder from TS. My Tak Finder bracket bolts onto the end of this very nicely.

542032560e01aeef96b38edf6e6e4492.jpg

de5065fbd63b1b4ad4a3f43164883dbe.jpg

67b7f3d2a00f7cc618195f9c7557a9bc.jpg

For anyone worrying, the RDF is unity gain and does not magnify the sun at all so is not dangerous in any way. Regardless, I never need to get my eye in line with it as I can see the sun in the sol finder from way off angle.

The movement of the mount is very smooth, and the clutch adjustment very progressive so setting the correct tension is easy. Balance is still important, but can be achieved with the 76 by sliding the scope in it's clamshell. The 60 is a different ball game, specifically when using the Quark. There is as much length after the diagonal as in the scope, so balance is all but impossible. This config is less often used though, partly for that reason!

00bfcab96ab3daa7437a15f5019ff229.jpg

0dccf0fffdff323a5301ba5f155d80b6.jpg

e49d9960e3cae7b8dd8a8cb55bd8f558.jpg

I use an Induro AT413 tripod which is quite adequate for this setup, particularly if kept low for high mags. It weighs around 3.2kg but it is more stable than some of the lightweight CF tripods I've tried. At high power it does take a few seconds to settle but with gentle handling it is manageable. My intentions for the rig are not aimed at high power anyway so this is not a major concern. I do wonder whether a tripod with bracing struts between the legs and the centre column may offer more stability though?

http://m.indurogear.com/products/induro-alloy-at-series-8m-tripods-at413.aspx

a693ff640865cd69bacec0c87326b1ae.jpg

White light solar is covered by the Lunt 1.25" Herschel Wedge. I use a 1.25" extension with the continuum filter fitted into the bottom which helps with achieving focus. In terms of eyepieces, I normally use the Docter 12.5mm 84 degree afov which gives a near ideal magnification and excellent views.

bc5bb2ae82ff17cc2c4d50dd861962dd.jpg

fc3e31291c232e23b484f1b9812c0d7f.jpg

For Ha I have the Quark Chromosphere version. I've started using this with a Zeiss T2 prism and I've configured the whole lot with some extension pieces and a Denk multiplier/reducer so I instantly have different mags available, very handy. I use a Baader UV/IR cut filter in the 2" nosepiece which is fine at 76mm (actually fine up to 120mm). I use a TV 32mm Plossl for the Quark which gives best contrast/magnification trade off, plus I have the multiplier/reducer.

1d4e6ae821defb3585f641af26d3080e.jpg

I've recently upgraded the 1.25" holder on the Quark to a Baader Clicklock using the adapter now available from FLO. It looks and functions much better than the standard version.

6ef38b80e1c5b850797e535cb7127aac.jpg

Power comes from a power pack sourced off eBay which works very well and has so far been reliable.

For night time, I just leave the same prism setup as it is, removing the UV/IR filter. Eyepieces for this are the 24mm Panoptic for Widefield, Leica Zoom for mid range and 3 to 6 Nag zoom for high power.

177d4a0a0b7e916a475b057bc6ef81ed.jpg

9d157d925dadea233367366b56ac11fb.jpg

With this setup I have from a 4.6 degree field in the 60mm at x14.7 , up to x190 mag in the 76 which is adequate for some nice planetary and double observing.

Finally, I do have a 45 degree erecting prism for daytime use, though I think that will stay at home this time! More for UK travel and at home.

681180763ec871453a529728edfbbf56.jpg

I will add some more pics and detail later, in particular with everything packed down!

My hopes are for some lovely views of the southern treasures whilst on hols somewhere hot this summer. If I'm good, I may get a little solar and a couple of nights Astro, although it might cost me a few cocktails for Mrs Sumorian [emoji6]

Thanks all, I've edited a few more photos in showing the other configs. Will have to see what the weight is to make some decisions about how much I can sneak in [emoji6]

Thats a lovely setup Stu, but unless I was personally carrying it I wouldn't let it out of my sight. I had great difficulty in getting kit to Sri Lanka as they are so stringent on examining luggage. If you are going south south, just check local flights or hops, had to substitute dhoni instead of floatplane  but was carrying an st120 :grin:

Thats a lovely setup Stu, but unless I was personally carrying it I wouldn't let it out of my sight. I had great difficulty in getting kit to Sri Lanka as they are so stringent on examining luggage. If you are going south south, just check local flights or hops, had to substitute dhoni instead of floatplane but was carrying an st120 :grin:

Don't worry, I'm not going anywhere too distant, within Europe anyway and anything valuable will be in my hand luggage.

I took a WO66 to Tanzania on safari, including flights in 4 seat single prop planes and managed to get away with it!!

The Tak 60 is a tiny little gem really, even if I just end up taking this it would be fine. Just 270mm end to end including caps.

fc99dacce02d59f261b1e16d008e18f3.jpg

This is the 76mm objective, the Quark and the 60 in a rucksack. Plenty of padding needed but it looks doable.

22f0163a834b4464b78cd482a489b939.jpg

That is lovely, it will be confiscated in Africa, Greece would sell it to pay off the IMF....but is it tsunami, fungus  & monsoon proof. The st 120 may have ca but its a tough litle err thing

That is lovely, it will be confiscated in Africa, Greece would sell it to pay off the IMF....but is it tsunami, fungus & monsoon proof. The st 120 may have ca but its a tough litle err thing

....but looking on the bright side...

It will do just fine, and there's no way I'm lugging an ST102 with me!

Your Tak-60 is really lovely. Did you buy it with the Feathertouch focuser or replace it yourself?

I think the focuser is the only controversial thing in the TV-60. I am not going to change it, but I admit that sometimes I miss a normal dual speed focuser. There are advantages in a helical focuser of course (e.g. size, weight, simpler design). To me this is like a 50:50. Still a nice compromise to have fortunately.  :)

Stu that is a fantastic set up - your Tak FS-60C looks great. As you know I am going to the States next weekend and I am allowed 10kg in the hand luggage. The tripod is in the case in the hold. Have you weighed your set up as hand luggage?

Thanks Mark. I'm hoping it will give me some good views. Saturn at a higher elevation plus all the treasures in Sagittarius as I'm sure you are looking forward to too.

I haven't weighed it all yet, and may have to make some compromises, but I'm hopeful I will be ok.

The specified weight on the Tak 60 is 1.3kg. The feathertouch is 0.5kg but I doubt this adds much after the original focuser is removed. The clamshell and dovetail probably take me to 2kg. The 76mm objective is quoted at 1.8kg and the Quark at 1.2kg so I reckon I'm at 5kg for these main bits which leaves me room for the case itself and the sundry bits and pieces, some of which can be spread around in other luggage.

I may choose not to take the 60mm objective as I can just about get full disk Ha with the 76 by using the reducer and the balance is much easier.

I'll weigh it all up and report back in this thread, might take a few days though [emoji3]

Your Tak-60 is really lovely. Did you buy it with the Feathertouch focuser or replace it yourself?

I think the focuser is the only controversial thing in the TV-60. I am not going to change it, but I admit that sometimes I miss a normal dual speed focuser. There are advantages in a helical focuser of course (e.g. size, weight, simpler design). To me this is like a 50:50. Still a nice compromise to have fortunately. :)

Thanks Piero,

I bought the Tak with its original focuser on. I'm not a fan of Tak focuser though, and this one had image shift which I don't like.

The same adaptor fits the FS-60C, the FC-76DC and the FC-100 so it's all very easy. FLO now range this adaptor with the FTF-2025BCR I believe.

http://starlightinstruments.com/store/index.php?route=product/product&product_id=76

I like the option of 2" accessories in the FS-60C, but your Televue 60 has the edge on portability I'm sure. Optically I bet they are very similar.

That is a wonderful setup and almost identical to mine.  I use the LW version of the feathertouch (as you do sometimes), with the FS-60 and the 76DC objective upgrade with a Tele Optic Giro Mini on the Gitzo series 4 tripod.  Only thing I am missing is the Quark and I don't have a h-alpha scope at the moment.....hmmm  :grin:

That is a wonderful setup and almost identical to mine. I use the LW version of the feathertouch (as you do sometimes), with the FS-60 and the 76DC objective upgrade with a Tele Optic Giro Mini on the Gitzo series 4 tripod. Only thing I am missing is the Quark and I don't have a h-alpha scope at the moment.....hmmm :grin:

I wonder why that could be Matthew? Perhaps because I shamelessly copied your setup [emoji3][emoji106]

I notice that there is also an FTF2025-LW, might be nice to have the extra travel in the LW version?

I wish I could stretch to a Gitzo too, I bet they are more stable than the Induro even though it is pretty good compared with others.

You know you need a Quark, or at very least a nice Wedge [emoji6]

I wonder why that could be Matthew? Perhaps because I shamelessly copied your setup [emoji3][emoji106]

Great minds and all that!  :tongue:

I have recently added the extender CQ 1.7x to the setup as well which converts the FS-60 into a f/10 quadruplet super apo (Takahashi words not mine) but I have not had any real chances to really try it out yet. 

Great minds and all that! :tongue:

I have recently added the extender CQ 1.7x to the setup as well which converts the FS-60 into a f/10 quadruplet super apo (Takahashi words not mine) but I have not had any real chances to really try it out yet.

That sounds like it could be fun :)

I do really like this scope Stu but then again I like all of your fraks especially the Vixen Atlux 150ED :Envy: .

The TAK sure is like the Swiss army knife of scopes though.

Thanks Nick. It's a very flexible system I must say. The scopes don't have the 'hewn from a solid nugget of metal' feel that I love with Televue, but then again they are still beautifully made, and much lighter. The fact that they separate into pieces too makes taking them overseas much more possible.

I sometimes wish that the FC-100 unscrewed in the middle! Not sure I'm brave enough to get that mod done!!

Archived