Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Profound thoughts! (ouch)

Eclectic_Mixer

Profound thought! If we look back in time towards to "Big Bang" ,assuming that the Bang blew out in all directions, are there objects 13 billion LY's in the other direction? 26 billion LY in the opposite direction:icon_scratch:

Geoff

An interesting thought.

I believe the common theory is that the big bang happened everywhere in every part of the universe at the same time, before the universe expanded into its present state.

From this statement, I presume in every direction we look, we can see approximately 13.7 Billion years into the past.

Please feel free to correct me if I am wrong on this. I'm going on theories passed on from others, as I don't have access to Hubble etc.

Best Regards

Profound thought! If we look back in time towards to "Big Bang" ,assuming that the Bang blew out in all directions, are there objects 13 billion LY's in the other direction? 26 billion LY in the opposite direction:icon_scratch:

Geoff

if you travelled the 13.7 billion LYs across ...then rigged up a super super super hubble...then in theory..yes you could look back 26 billion LY ..and even more depending on the strength of the telescope as for you to travel that distance the universe would have expanded further :)

Geoff

I was thinking the same thing, looking as far back "behind" the Big Bang :)

if you travelled the 13.7 billion LYs across ...then rigged up a super super super hubble...then in theory..yes you could look back 26 billion LY ..and even more depending on the strength of the telescope as for you to travel that distance the universe would have expanded further :)

Hang on a sec.

That would place us at the centre of the universe - an extremely unlikely coincidence. My understanding is that based on the rate of expansion we observe today, if you "ran that backwards" that 13.7 billion years ago, the size of the universe would be zero, thus that's when the BB happened.

An interesting thought.

I believe the common theory is that the big bang happened everywhere in every part of the universe at the same time, before the universe expanded into its present state.

From this statement, I presume in every direction we look, we can see approximately 13.7 Billion years into the past.

Yes.

In practice, however, there is a fog that prevents us from looking back more than about 13.3 billion years.

You are confusing distance and time.

This is called lookback distance.

Hi Geoff

The problem with seeing right back to the exact second of the Big Bang, is it will never happen, only after 380,000 year or so light managed to escape what was then a very dense universe full of matter, prior to that the universe as we know it was opaque. A shame really.

In practice, however, there is a fog that prevents us from looking back more than about 13.3 billion years..
The problem with seeing right back to the exact second of the Big Bang, is it will never happen, only after 380,000 year or so light managed to escape what was then a very dense universe full of matter, prior to that the universe as we know it was opaque. A shame really.

Oops, I can't subtract.

What really fries the brain is the theory that Penrose and Hawking proposed. If you take a Black Hole and reverse time what you would effectively have is energy emitted from a singularity and the universe was formed from a singularity, so if you could see past the Big Bang you could in theory ? look out onto another universe in reverse time who's Black Hole ripped a Hole in it’s space time to create a singularity in the first place, this is however all theory, you'd have to see though the fog of the first 380,000 years, cosmology is great, but my head is starting to hurt already.

Ok, Think of it like a balloon, it starts off say very small, the size of an atom just for the purpose of this explanation, but as it is filled with air it expands say to a couple of feet or so, at any point of the surface of the balloon was at the same place before it expended, so if you let the balloon down all parts of that balloon would return to the same place, only the surface area has changed. Hope that makes sense..

Edit: under the current theory, the expansion is the effect of the universe coming into existence, however what is throwing the experts a curve ball is the expansion is increasing faster, there explanation is it's due to the lack of mass in the universe and the effects of dark energy on matter and dark matter over gravity or lack of it as the case might be !

My understanding that the Big Bang happened everywhere at once as before it there was no universe in existance for "a big bang" to happen in a particular part of it. Nothing existed, not nothing as we know it but absolutely nothing, no time, space, matter...zilch. So it happened everywhere at once in a universe that was infinately small and has been expanding ever since. I think that we know this because the residue of the Big Bang, the microwave (?) background radiation is everywhere in the universe

Also we can only observe objects up to a certain redshift, we have got close (within 800 million years) to the big bang but from then on the redshift increases substantially and keeps on going the further back in time we look. Just imagine an ever steepening slope.

IIRC the redshift of the light from the big bang itself (not the CMBR) is Z=~ (infinity) so it is something we can never directly observe

It’s amazing really when you look at it, you have the theory’s that have been proven by observation such as the discovery of neutron stars , the Black hole in the 70’s with the discovery of Cygnus X1, and Redshift and the expanding universe by Hubble, but a lot of it is theoretical such as:-

Penrose and Hawking reversing time with a Black hole to create a white hole that a possible universe could string from.

Variable light speed to resolve the Horizon problem

Hologram theory that states that information cannot be lost and is stored within a two dimensional plan.

String theory and the possible existence of at least 9 dimensions.

Hawking radiation, that a Black Hole can emit energy.

And to top it all off the attempted merger of quantum mechanics and the theory of relativity.

Archived