Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Extreme deep field: NGC5394

sergeC14

Hi guys,

last night, we had excellent seing in the alps, guiding was so good that it only moved by 1 pixel in DEC and a couple in RA so I imaged NGC5394. So, image taken at C14 EdegeHD focal with an Atik 11000CM. 14x10 minutes. Here is a crop (about 70%)

NGC5394small.jpg

a another one bigger:

NGC5394cropsmall.jpg

Some of the background galaxies are Mag 21...:D

Comments welcomed.

more at www.sergepetiot.com

A great picture, now you will starting thinking about higher resolution which means a larger aperture and more costly mount :hello2::rolleyes::D

Imaging is fun, not only for the intended image but the discovery of those little faint fuzzies!

These are very impressive images full of information. Because of the f ratio getting the noise down is always going to be a long job but I suspect PixInsight would be good for the background sky. Your guiding is so good that I would be inclined to increase the sub exposure time to 15 minutes, unless you are already losing some subs. It will make a big difference to noise.

Olly

Olly,

no, no I always use all my subs! guiding when the air is that steady is not an issue. I did 15 min subs on perseus cluster, and thyey did indeed bring out loads of fainter stuff.

Serge

That's a cracker. So many tiny faint fuzzies, there must be 100's of millions of light years visible in this shot.

What f ratio were you imaging at Serge? f10?

Cheers

Tim

With such capabilities maybe you could do some experiments with such galaxies and globular clusers and shoot them in Ir-VIS-UV false colors? I'm planning to do something like that with my C11, but that won't happen soon. UV should show blue stragglers in clusters more prominently, and in galaxies UV and IR should also differentiate their elements more prominently (new stars, old stars and the dust).

Riklaumin,

well, I'm a dinosaur, so I am not much into false colors. You can already do some of what you are saying by incresing color saturation and you can clearly differenciate old stars from new. Also, regarding your plans for your C11, do not forget SCT are absolutely **** in blue or UV wavelength! thx to corrector plate glass acting like a filter. Also, admitting your scope is at L/4 PTV in red and green, you're gonna drop down to less than L/2 in blue. So imagine in UV?...

Serge

Archived