NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

what autoguider

I have had enough trying to use the synguider it all seems a bit mickey mouse. Any suggestions on a practical system for the same money and something you can see the star you want to track.

I'm not sure about what is available in the same price range, but I'm happy to add my experiences if that helps.

I started off with an LVI autoguider because although expensive I did get a very good deal that was well under the RRP...not quite 50% but nearish! :hello2:

But I never managed to get it working with my 66mm guide scope. I lost countless nights and was very frustrated by the whole process.

In the end after deliberating for quite some time I bit the bullet, sold it and purchased a lodestar. It was a toss up between that and the QHY5. In the end I was worried about being disappointed again and went for the more expensive option.

This was in part to a comment from Ian King that this would be the only guide cam I would ever need.

And I have to say I am hugely impressed with in.

When centering during twilight I have to stop the aperture down to around 5/6mm in order to reduce the sensitivity and focus on a distant object. Recently at SGL6 I was out in the cloud, still able to capture tracking data (I've been assessing the PE of my mount) when you couldn't see a star in the sky....but the cam could easily make out vega with .5sec exposures. :rolleyes:

Anyway, yes there are cheaper options and many on here get very good use out of the QHY5, but for me I decided to pay for the certainty, and even put up with the fact that I can't get the SX software to work... I never use it as the lodestar works direct with PHD and EQMod without any issues (so far...touch wood)

Sorry if that doesn't really answer your question, but it may help inform your decision.

Good luck and clear skies. :D

Michael

Assuming you already have a laptop, a QHY5, Skywatcher 9x50 finder scope (you may have this already) an adapter from Modern Astronomy to fit the two together, an ST4 cable (not needed if you use EQMOD already) and PHD software (free) will cost approximately 260 pounds - is that on the same ballpark?

Tried it through the ed 80 and a 200pds. will lock on to stars butvery sketchy and the control is very frustrating as resets it's itself and always jumps back to preveiw mode. Also not the most comfortable piece of kit to use from kneeling position.

been following this thread with interest, as i am getting frustrated with the synguider aswell, it seems ok on very bright stars, im either going down the laptop route or will need to get large guidescope rings so i have alot of movement to get a bright star in the fov to guide on.

been following this thread with interest, as i am getting frustrated with the synguider aswell, it seems ok on very bright stars, im either going down the laptop route or will need to get large guidescope rings so i have alot of movement to get a bright star in the fov to guide on.

What's the F ratio of the guidescope?

Olly

Just to throw a spanner into the works. I've been using a QHY5 with an ED80 scope but could struggle with noise from the Cam (Fine with PHD both noise when using Maxim) I've recently acquired a DSI colour (second hand) and have been using that. Although its got a much smaller chip it is a CCD based camera not a CMOS( as the Qhy5) and hence has lower noise. Seems better with Maxim although still early days.

Once I've decided one of them will be up for sale.

By the way DSI are now coming onto the market quite cheap second-hand (astrobuysell and Ebay; well under £100 and much less than a new QHY5.)

Not sure whether this helps but I'm leaning towards the DSI (when using Maxim/remote obs setup)

Obviously a Lodestar would be the best but a second hand DSI would be 1/4 of the price.

Rob

I use the colour dsi as well and second hand they are a bargain. Just be patient and wait for a cheap one to come along (they always seem to)

Install the latest drivers as well, don't touch the ones on the cd.

Works very well as a guide cam for me.

I too found the Synguider to be a bit of a faff even with an ST80. I could make it work but it was a bit odf a PITA to set up. I changed to a QHY5 on the ST80, far more user friendly and very accurate. No probs with finding guidestars either.

Philj

Archived