Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Rant

GazK

Great: clear night for a change, but I've had a ***** day at work and I'm too tired to drive to a dark site. Garden faces north, so I go onto the playing field opposite to look south. M3 virtually invisible in my 10" dob due to stupid ****** sodium streetlights (3 - for a cul-de-sac). Have I picked the wrong hobby? How do people with long hours jobs do astro?

I know what you feel like. Ive just got in home, I left at 7.30.

Its clear, Ive done 500 miles, and 15h work

Trust me, there are good days. Annoyingly I forgot to take the bins. Sometimes coming across the A66/A171 there are some truely amazing skys that just say "stop and take a look".

I hope you get a break so you can have a great observing sesssion.

One of my best / frst memores was taking 15mn self guided (x hars manual slow mo) exposures when the miners strike was on with no electricty.. mum n dad had a darden with a street lamp rght at the end.

Sympathy here. Full day yesterday, with a long drive but forced myself to go to dark sky. 2 am home, sleep, woken at 6 by wife and daughter with strong coffee.

Shall be grumpy all day but boy of was worth it.

Cos I work away a lot, I keep the bins in the car and drink more caffeine than I ought.

Found that you have to just be philosophic about it all.

If you get the chance and are able to get the time outside then great, enjoy it. Otherswise you just have to accept that it wasn't meant to be.

Mind you West Wiltshire is a pretty wet area of the UK as I recall.

tell me about it, friday night is my astro night if weather and every thing else come together................tomorrow night all is perfect, but for work, up at 0300 to drive to portsmouth from huddersfield and drive all the way back so im gonna be shattered

Thanks everyone. I managed to get out last night onto Salisbury Plain with the SPOG crew, had a very enjoyable night despite coming off the end of a 14 hour day (6 hours on a Virgin Voyager!). I will pay for it today, but worth it for mind-blowing views of M13 at 200 power!

I work stupid shifts on the Railway, finish at 01:00 on lates and earlies start at 04:00.

I have a similar situation here, I have to drive to my Dark sky site and set all the gear up if I am going to observe DSO's usually end up doing 02:00 - 04:00 then pack up and sort out gear when I get back. So it can be a real pain! but still very rewarding.

When I'm on earlies I tend to get as much sleep as possible for a couple of days then go out 21:00 - 02:00, sort my gear out when I get back, then go to work! and catch up on sleep later :-)

Depends on my ob's session though, if the object is big and bright, planets or bright DSO's I can stay local and suffer the light pollution, I tend to find a LP EP filter does help, although does give false colour, but I can generally live with that!

Your large aperture helps with the bright stuff, but I guess your going to have to plan your ob's sessions better, keep local for most stuff and make a list of the DSO's then every now and again go to the dark site and catch up :-)

Most of us have to work around the hobby and it can get frustrating on lates on really clear nights knowing that you don't finish until 01:00 :-(

Ray

Archived