Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Evolution of an Eyepiece Case

Hi all. Due to a bout of buying and selling (still ongoing) my eyepiece case has changed somewhat over the last couple of years (slightly) and the last couple of months in particular. First pic is from June 2009 and the second taken today.

Ant :)

post-14001-133877556113_thumb.jpg

post-14001-133877556121_thumb.jpg

Hi Paul,

It's one of the Maplins ones that are often on special offer. I paid £20 and they're usually £30. Quite sturdy and nice foam. Not as strong as the Jessops ones but they're a lot pricier.

Ant

Hi Ant

You've had and still have a nice collection of glass there.

I notice you changed a 16mm Nagler type5 for a 17mm type4 was that an eye relief issue or just preferred the bigger eye lens?

Regards Steve

Hi Paul,

It's one of the Maplins ones that are often on special offer. I paid £20 and they're usually £30. Quite sturdy and nice foam. Not as strong as the Jessops ones but they're a lot pricier.

Ant

Cheers Ant. It seems they're £35 ATM. Yeah Jessops are silly money. There are some nice ones on ebay actually.

Th Nagler Story. Well actually, since that first pic was taken, I got a 13mmT6 and had the 16mmT5 along with it, but sold the 16mm simply because they were a bit close. I liked the 16mm but some deal must have tempted me so I let it go. It's only in the last few weeks that I've used a 17T4 and succumbed to the joy of using it. It's a very comfortable eyepiece. A friend loaned me his and that was it - I tracked down a 2nd hand one and the result is the second pic!

Yes, I only have one remaining Pentax, the first one I bought. The others were superb but whether I keep something really depends on how often it gets used. The Pentyax XW30 gave me some astigmatism problems and I find the Axiom 23 to have resolved that; with its smaller exit pupil but wider field of view I get similar true field but much less astigmatism effect. And higher magnification too. And yes - it is HUGE!

Ant

Hi all. Due to a bout of buying and selling (still ongoing) my eyepiece case has changed somewhat over the last couple of years (slightly) and the last couple of months in particular. First pic is from June 2009 and the second taken today.

Ant :icon_eek:

You have some nice glass in there one of them I would love 17t4 :rolleyes:

I have been through the same thing as you with changing the case around

Version 1

post-24512-13387755758_thumb.jpg

Version 1.2

post-24512-133877557584_thumb.jpg

Version 1.3

post-24512-133877557589_thumb.jpg

Have bought new foam now and I have been cutting it myself so I can get a nice tight fit around everything

Where did you get the foam from Jnc?

the foam came from ebay

3" Camera Case Foam /packing foam | eBay UK

its bigger than the case but was a doddle to cut with a stanley blade i cut it a little bit bigger than it need to be so it was a tight fit in the case. its also only 3" deep so i just put some of my old plucked out maplins foam in the bottom to raise it up a bit.

drew round my ep's on a piece of paper to get a template then pinned them to the foam and cut around them with a stanley blade very carefully also made sure the templates were just a bit smaller than the ep's so everything got a nice snug fit

might sound like a lot of hassle but i hate pick and pluck foam this way it looks so much tidier

sorry a very long winded answer to a very straight forward question

all the best

jake

That's a very handy link to foam on ebay! Thanks for that jnc!

And mjrTom, I'd highly recommend the 13T6. I'm not sure exactly what I expected from it when I bought it (one of my rare NEW purchases) but it exceeded all expectations and is a bit of a workhorse.

Ant

Archived