Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

PLEASE HELP! Cannot calibrate my Polar scope!

StarryEyes

I am having problems calibrating my polar scope.

I am using this: Astro Babys HEQ5 Polar Alignment to help me and doing what its says (or at least I think I am).

I get the point I am lining up with in the centre of the cross-hair and turn the mount on the RA axis 180 and the point moves just above the cross-hair, so I realign it, turn it back through 180 and it moves back to where it was again. I have kept doing this over and over again but the point moves just above the cross-hair every time.

What am I doing wrong?

Your help and advice would be much appreciated.

THe screws aren't loose are they? I know that sounds silly but when I did mine the reticule kept moving in the holder as I was too scared to do the 3 screws up too tight.

I noticed especially when using the focus as the whole thing would move round.

Ah, right I think I have missunderstood that bit. So once I've turned the mount 180 I only need to re adjust it so that the cross-hair is between where it was and the point I an lining up with? (if that makes any sense?!)

Right, I dont know what I thought that bit meant, silly me.

I've done that and now when I turn it back it is in the middle of the cross-hair again.

So just to get this right in my mind, if I rotate it through 360 should the cross-hair move off the point and then back to it at the end of one full rotation?

No, it should stay on the cross hair Gemma.

Otherwise it is only aligned at that single point in the rotation, and as soon as you move off that point, it would be misaligned again.

Well that's what I though but I couldnt get it to do anything else!

I'm starting to get rather frustrated with this now. Do I just need to keep adjusting it in half the distance each time and then it will eventually be lined up with the crosshair constantly?

The way I do it is as follows.

Centre the crosshair on a distant object...preferably a fixed one, not a moving TV aerial for example!

Rotate axis 180 degrees.

Adjust grubscrews to position crosshair half way back.

Realign crosshair on target using alt/azi bolts.

Rotate 180 degrees and start again.

For ages I didn't realign the target on the cross hair after tweaking the grub screws....that just meant I was going back and forth.

Hope that helps.

Michael

• 5 months later...
  • 4 months later...

Archived