Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

First session! Massive thanks to Dellis

Dellis (Dave) kindly offered to give me some help by showing me the ropes with his NexStar 8SE last night as we had clear skys here.

I'm sad to say the first time I had viewed through a propper scope.

I was utterly blown away with what we saw in 4 hours and it's still sinking in to be honest.

We had a cracking view of the orion nebula which was awe inspiring. Swirling Galaxies who's names escape me at present M... etc (lots to take in) and the cherry on the cake was Saturn which we tracked for a good hour and a half. We could see 4 moons at all times, detail on the surface of the planet, shadow from the rings and a suggestion/ darkness of the gap in the rings.

It was almost as if you could reach out and touch it and really didnt seem real it was so sharp and crisp...

Mega!

Anyway - massive thanks for Dave's hospitality and help a nights viewing i'll never forget.

Top guy :D

Dellis (Dave) kindly offered to give me some help by showing me the ropes with his NexStar 8SE last night as we had clear skys here.

I'm sad to say the first time I had viewed through a propper scope.

I was utterly blown away with what we saw in 4 hours and it's still sinking in to be honest.

We had a cracking view of the orion nebula which was awe inspiring. Swirling Galaxies who's names escape me at present M... etc (lots to take in) and the cherry on the cake was Saturn which we tracked for a good hour and a half. We could see 4 moons at all times, detail on the surface of the planet, shadow from the rings and a suggestion/ darkness of the gap in the rings.

It was almost as if you could reach out and touch it and really didnt seem real it was so sharp and crisp...

Mega!

Anyway - massive thanks for Dave's hospitality and help a nights viewing i'll never forget.

Top guy :D

Andy,

It was a pleasure to meet you and I'm pleased you had a good time. Feel free to bring some beer next time :(

We observed:

The Orion Nebula aka M42

The Pleiades aka M45

The Andromeda Galaxy

M81

M82

and finally we had a superb view of Saturn

A good evening's observing :p

Dave

Andy,

It was a pleasure to meet you and I'm pleased you had a good time. Feel free to bring some beer next time :p

We observed:

The Orion Nebula aka M42

The Pleiades aka M45

The Andromeda Galaxy

M81

M82

and finally we had a superb view of Saturn

A good evening's observing :D

Dave

Perfect! Thanks for this Dave - I've got some seroius googling to do today at work ha.

PS Sainsburies stock the sky at night now mate. :(

Cheers,

Perfect! Thanks for this Dave - I've got some seroius googling to do today at work ha.

PS Sainsburies stock the sky at night now mate. :p

Cheers,

I picked a copy up this very evening :D

Dave

You had a party and you didn't invite me :D

I could have brought my scope along as well !

Only joking :)

Glad you saw quite a few things.

cheers

Simon.

Simon - I can feel a breakaway faction forming. I'm up for it again as soon as the sky clears. Would be awesome to get 2 scopes on the go at once. I recon we should sort sommat for April without fail esp. with your photography skills cos i'd love some proof next time Ahhh Saturn hmmmmmm :)

Andy I agree I think it's luck with the photography at the moment but I'm getting better with every attempt. I was really chuffed with the last Saturn I did. Mines totally portable including all the imaging stuff so I'd be a definite. Incidentally I saw some very good power packs in B&Q the other day with USB ports, 12v power, inverters etc.. between £30 - £60

Andy I agree I think it's luck with the photography at the moment but I'm getting better with every attempt. I was really chuffed with the last Saturn I did. Mines totally portable including all the imaging stuff so I'd be a definite. Incidentally I saw some very good power packs in B&Q the other day with USB ports, 12v power, inverters etc.. between £30 - £60

Sounds good mate - I'm sure Dave will read this so if we can get a mini session on somewhere i'd be more than happy to drive us all for exchange for info :D

Archived