Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Another first Saturn

dod

I know there are plenty of threads detailing first views of Saturn, and I don't want to bore you, but I've just come in from my own first view - the seeing wasn't so great, the moon was glaring, Saturn was fairly low in the sky and above some houses which didn't help - but WOW. It was still utterly beautiful and mesmerising and wondrous and amazing. And knowing how far away it is and all that makes it even more jaw dropping - that's one of the great things about astronomy I guess, it turns knowledge into joy.

I have the Celestron 127SLT, and with the 9mm eyepiece and a yellow filter I was sure I could just about make out some detail on the surface. No Cassini division, but I wasn't expecting that with my set-up, or the conditions. Titan was the only moon I could see for sure.

Still catching my breath.

it sure is a awesome feeling,i had my first viewing of saturn a few weeks ago. since then i have viewed a few more times and it still gives me the same jaw dropping feeling. the money i spent is it worth it just for them views alone :-)

I showed my daughter Saturn for the first time last night, all she said was OMG :)

When she asked me about the stars next to it and I told her they were moons, well the look on her face said it all.

Thats why I love this Hobby :(.

I showed my daughter Saturn for the first time last night, all she said was OMG :)

When she asked me about the stars next to it and I told her they were moons, well the look on her face said it all.

Thats why I love this Hobby :(.

I had the same experience with my daughter, both she and I were blown away. Really considering a good planetary eye piece as what I'm currently using isn't doing the scope justice.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

i have only had my first scope for a few days and last night and tonight have had 2 great nights viewing the moon (hey i had to start somewhere !)

been trying to find (and view Saturn) but have been unable to locate it

using a skywatcher 130pm with a super 25mm wide and a super 10mm EP (the eps that came with the scope)

should this setup be ok to see Saturn ?

do i need better / diff eps ?

any help appreciated

cheers

stick

i have only had my first scope for a few days and last night and tonight have had 2 great nights viewing the moon (hey i had to start somewhere !)

been trying to find (and view Saturn) but have been unable to locate it

using a skywatcher 130pm with a super 25mm wide and a super 10mm EP (the eps that came with the scope)

should this setup be ok to see Saturn ?

do i need better / diff eps ?

any help appreciated

cheers

stick

To quickly answer your question, yes. . .

I saw Saturn for the first time today also an have a skywatcher 130/900.

Steve,

:DGreat stuff dodd,i've just seen saturn through my first and new skywatcher 127 mak.Found saturn by mistake when i was lining in my viewfinder what i thought was a star (spicer),totally awesome.

cannot believe it.:hello2:

cheers Dave.

I saw Saturn again tonight in my 130p flexi-dob. I used two 2x barlows stacked, and a 9mm GSO Plossl. I just had a glimpse of the Cassini division! I was viewing at about 280x mag and the planet was racing across the FOV.

I then put a meade MA 6mm in for 433x and Saturn looked massive. However a sharp focus was almost impossible and without tracking it whizzed by.

I find the best views at around 170-200x.

It starts to go quite dim at high powers and detail is lost. I need more aperture and money!

I saw Saturn again tonight in my 130p flexi-dob. I used two 2x barlows stacked, and a 9mm GSO Plossl. I just had a glimpse of the Cassini division! I was viewing at about 280x mag and the planet was racing across the FOV.

I then put a meade MA 6mm in for 433x and Saturn looked massive. However a sharp focus was almost impossible and without tracking it whizzed by.

I find the best views at around 170-200x.

It starts to go quite dim at high powers and detail is lost. I need more aperture and money!

pretty much spot on Lux, my best views so far have been when using 180x, 13mm Nagler 2350 fl scope. :hello2:

Lucky so and so, I could only dream of a scope like that!

always a bigger better scope, its only, for me at least, about visual observing, would not mind what I used to be honest, even a set of bins are great but my current scope is my second and I am now going into my 4th year so guess its no surprise I sold my 1st, Celestron 6se, for this one.

Maybe you can visit a local astro society, thats what I did when I first started and it was a good thing as I got some good advice from some friendly knowledgable people, just like here on SGL :hello2:

Edit, forgot to add the new but second hand Vixen, it is going to need a bit of a clean and needs one or two extra's before I will be able to use it.

I can't remember the first time I saw Saturn, but when I show it to people at public and school nights, the thrill returns. I used a yellow filter for the first time last week on Saturn and the results were amazing. It really brought up detail on an otherwise bland disk.

Yeah it's funny, I've read a fair bit of advice on avoiding filters and that they actually reduce detail, but the #12 yellow filter really seems to improve things for me. I've had another couple of nights viewing since starting this thread and tried without filtering, and also a few different colours too. Yellow has come out best each time.

Showed Saturn to my wife the other night and it was the first time she was actually impressed with what I was looking at. She actually thought i'd stuck something on the lens as the rings were so clear. :D

Archived