Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

That Brian Cox has a lot to answer for....

I can only comment on the skywatcher items as they are all I have been paying attention to whilst researching and ordering my scope but since I bought mine a couple of weeks ago from F.L.O the prices have all got up as the demand is through the roof.

£50 more for my SW Explorer 200p - even the planispheres have gone up :o

• Replies 25
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I know, was holding out on getting a 150P dob since i had other things to buy first, now it's the same price as it used to be on an EQ mount. Needless to say i'm dissapointed, kind of ruins that plan, but i'm determined to get into this hobby one way or another :o

Why is Brian Cox getting such a roasting at the moment?

Better a new series of his that another serious of Katy Price or Britains Got Talent.

I love that he is on tv

I love that there is a little more science on tv

I love that more people are looking in to a science type hobby no matter what it is

I love that he is making science interesting to the masses

Sorry but I am just a little tired of the flack he is getting right now.

I am sorry if thsi post makes me disliked in anyway.

Why is Brian Cox getting such a roasting at the moment?

The title of this thread is very much tongue in cheek, I really enjoy his programmes to be honest.

Just an observation of recent price increases.

I agree MrsR. There seems to be a lot of "how dare he" threads and posts. As a beginner I find his programmes interesting and at a level I can understand.

As for the price increases, I'm guessing that as a niche market most astro shops will cream the fact that the hobby is becoming more widespread. Oh the joys of the media.....

I would expect the price increases are to do with the financial times we are in and something we just have to accept sadly but business is business isn't it.

The prices of Skywatcher, Celestron and Baader products were all increased recently (Baader only yesterday). The increases are not related to the surge of interest here in the UK following the Stargazing Live series.

As for planispheres, FLO became the sole UK dealer for David Chandler Night Sky Planispheres around the time we moved to larger premises so our first delivery of 100 planispheres were forgotten :( When we realised there was a shortage of planispheres we recognised an excellent opportunity to raise awareness of this new product so sold them all at a discounted price. We have now recieved a second delivery of 250 planispheres which are offered at their proper price. They might not be the cheapest but they are the best :o

HTH,

Steve

Steve,

In a previous post you stated that you were burning the midnight oil updating your website to take in account the price increases of SW equipment... As this increase seems to of come with out warning, and prior to any adverts in magazines, which would I assume of been sent to press before the increase, what's the legal standing should someone order say the 200P at the advertised price in a magazine which would be £50 less than the current on-line price ?

Ridiculous isn't it, Brian Cox is the best thing that has happened to UK astronomy for a long while yet people are whinging :(

I hope one day to meet him if only to shake his hand and thank him for inspiring so many to buy a binocular or telescope and observe the night sky :o

Steve

I hope one day to meet him if only to shake his hand and thank him for inspiring so many to buy a binocular or telescope and observe the night sky :o

Steve

Not to mention boosting profits for major astronomical retailers :(:) (only kidding)

I just wonder how good things could of been if the importers could of kept up and met the demand for gear !

I like the tongue in cheek reference. At the moment I love the fact that Brian Cox's wonders series is sparking debate. This hobby is being talked about up and down the country in offices, pubs, building sites, you name it. I cant remember the last time an astro series got a prime time evening slot. It all has to be good for the hobby IMO. Hats off to the beeb :o

:(

Matt

I like the tongue in cheek reference. At the moment I love the fact that Brian Cox's wonders series is sparking debate. This hobby is being talked about up and down the country in offices, pubs, building sites, you name it. I cant remember the last time an astro series got a prime time evening slot. It all has to be good for the hobby IMO. Hats off to the beeb :o

:(

Matt

Totally agree Matt,

evryone is talking about it and anyone who has watched them will have learnt something amazing.

Steve,

In a previous post you stated that you were burning the midnight oil updating your website to take in account the price increases of SW equipment... As this increase seems to of come with out warning, and prior to any adverts in magazines, which would I assume of been sent to press before the increase, what's the legal standing should someone order say the 200P at the advertised price in a magazine which would be £50 less than the current on-line price ?

The new price list arrived without warning at 5pm with a notice that the prices take affect immediately! The margins in astro retail are not as high as some might have you believe so it was important that we applied the increases as soon as possible otherwise we could actually lose money!

Normally, because we carry more stock than most, we are amongst the last to apply price rises. Most here will have seen us offering stock on SGL at pre-increase prices but with stock in short supply (the Brain Cox affect) we did not have the opportunity.

We have rolling orders with most of our suppliers so we have enough stock incoming, ordered before the increase, to cover existing orders so nobody has lost out. We have also given reductions to those who had discussed pending purchases on the day the new prices arrived.

As for the legal standing of someone wanting to coerce dealers into selling at advertised pre-increase prices. We don't advertise in magazines so I am not an expert but ultimately customers have the right not to buy and retailers not to sell so I guess fairness and decency would prevail.

Hope that helps,

Steve :o

Hurray for Cox! Let's face it,TV is generally a collossal waste of a wonderful technology,and a fine teacher like Prof Cox is a breath of fresh air. If someone produced a telescope on East Enders,one person would shout at it,another would hit his wife with it,and a third would want to buy it a drink.

My personal view. On the man himself, the best thing that's happened since Patrick Moore. I could watch him for hours on end. The way he puts over a sense of wonder is truly inspirational.

Re the music comments. I haven't noticed a problem with his shows that I can recall, but I do have sympathy with the view generally. Due to too much noise from factories and rock music when I was younger, I now have hearing aids in both ears. Even with the modern digital electronics it is virtually impossible to hear what's being said when background music is being played at the same level as speech. In a great deal of the programs where it's used, it's totally unecessary, because intelligent minds can put in their own background, in the form of thought processes.

Max

Archived