Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Half Moon Mosaic with SPC900 webcam

prbaxter

I realised what I said wrong right after posting and corrected it. Even more impressive that a good consistency is kept between the images.

(I had 3 hours sleep last night from all my own Moon/Saturn endeavours. That's my excuse...)

:o no problems King.

I put some brief information on the end of my previous thread as to my methods. You can see it here on post #13: http://stargazerslounge.com/imaging-lunar/133854-first-attempt-moon-mosaic-webcam.html#post1735527

Getting the settings right in Registax is the hardest bit. Managed to get a good idea of what I'm doing with it now. May put together some notes for everyone when I get a chance as it really is easy when you know how...

nice pic prbaxter quick question. the terminator line seems to step back at the bottom is this because of the time between first and last pane ?. but then i think there would be a gradual slope. does the terminator move that much?

not meaning to pic holes in your work its far better than what i have done so far. im just trying to learn a little for when the clouds clear and i can have a go

star

Hi Star,

I think it's just a natural light artifact. if you look at other mosaics taken on the same day you can see similar effects:

http://stargazerslounge.com/imaging-lunar/134382-birthday-moon-13-march-2011-a.html - for example.

The time between taking my first and last AVI's would have been less than 20 minutes so it's doubtful. it didn't take long at all.

Besides all of that, the terminator line would have revealed more of the top of the moon than the bottom, because I started at the bottom and worked my way to the top, if that makes sense.

I also kept the focus and exposure levels the same for all panes. So that isn't a possibility either.

Good question though!

I have just looked back at my first moon mosaic here taken on the 14th and notice that the terminator also seems to jump - i can see 2 clear steps whihc makes sense as this is 3 images stiched together. the videos were taken over a period of about 20 mins. I too wasn't aware that the terminator moved so quickly.

Getting the settings right in Registax is the hardest bit. Managed to get a good idea of what I'm doing with it now. May put together some notes for everyone when I get a chance as it really is easy when you know how...

Yes Please,

As a side note I really struggle with Registax. I wish they did a tutorial which comes with a sample download of an AVI, then you can actually work through the tutorial with the same AVI that are talking about so you can see how to get a great result as trying several times with my own AVI's I never really know if they can be improved upon (most likly they will be by loads),

That link is a very good tutorial, but for videos like mine where the target drifts through the field of view (i.e. no motor drives), you have to take a slightly different approach. Registax isn't too bad to get to grips with with a tracked single target like a planet but when you're scanning over the surface of the moon it gets a bit trickier.

I'll put together a quick summary today if I get the time. :)

that's even more impressive no md. i tried this (thought my md was broke lol dont ask) and got terrible results. but they do say practice makes perfect so i should be competent at ap by 2017 with these dam clouds

star

Archived