Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

SW heq5 polar red led dimming

The Synscan controller V3.27 for the HEQ5pro has a polar illuminator dimmer option under the utility menu.

It worked well on mine. when it arrived the illumination seemed to be set near 100% and as Ken said I used the dimmer option and turned it down to something like 5%

I have got the upto date firmware on my synscan but I can't recall seeing any function for dimming the light but I shall have. A look also my mount is a year or 2 old so the board might be wrong.

Thanks for the help

Ps how do u turn the hand controller button lights up?

• 1 year later...

Yes, the LED is ridiculously bright. What were they on when they designed this?

Another option you can use is EQdimmer from the EQmod project. You only use it the once since the mount remembers the setting after you have dimmed it down. Its a little program you run on its own -its a bit unstable I have found - when you have your mount connected to a PC (which you will have if you are going to use EQmod). Worked a treat for me. Coudl not see Polaris due to the brightness. Now its perfect.

Steve

• 1 year later...

is it possible to say borrow a handset turn the brightness down, then will the brightness stay at that setting so you will not need to adjust the brightness again?

edit, just see this post!!

"Yes, the LED is ridiculously bright. What were they on when they designed this?

Another option you can use is EQdimmer from the EQmod project. You only use it the once since the mount remembers the setting after you have dimmed it down. Its a little program you run on its own -its a bit unstable I have found - when you have your mount connected to a PC (which you will have if you are going to use EQmod). Worked a treat for me. Coudl not see Polaris due to the brightness. Now its perfect.

Steve "

will check this out right now!! thanks

• 6 months later...

Old thread I know, but I've just bought a used HEQ5, circa 2011 I believe, with version 3.27 firmware. The polarscope dimmer on mine is under the Setup menu, not under the Utilities menu. It's labelled Polarscope LED and it comes after the LCD Contrast option.  Works a treat, but doesn't remember the setting after switching the mount off. Still, can't have everything I suppose :)

Archived