SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

Will we ever be satisfied

paulbeer

When i first started astronomy i bought a 130p and convinced myself that my first scope will be my only and last scope 18 months later i have now owned 5 and also purchased a imaging set up, I am forever telling the other half, I swear thats all i will ever need and i promise ill take you to New York just let me get that 1 more eye piece.

Does anyone else have the same problem

Is there a cure for wanting to constantly upgrade/change astro equipment.

No problem. Visit New York soon and spend a day or two up at NEAF. Biggest astro show around. You could pick up an eyepiece or five at a great discount and see astro equipment you could only dream of.

There we are. All solved.

Oh yes, i'm saving for an EQ6 at the moment, also i'm starting my observatory build at the end of the month. Totally obsessed with it all. Mind you the misses isn't bothered, i'm funding it all with what i would of spent on fags after i gave up.

My limited mobility is my saving grace when it comes to buying scopes. My 2nd scope (SW Heritage 130P) is absolutely perfect for me. I doubt if i will ever find a more suitable scope (unless i build/buy and Obsy and stick an 8" Dob in there).

So i reckon for the moment i am done with buying scopes.

How many fags were you smoking a day mate :(

I have just started in astronomy and still smoke, will i have to give up the ciggies too :o Nah!

about 20 ish a day, saved about 200 quid a month, lots of Astronomy goodess to buy for 200 quid, that is one of my motivations.

I doubt that there is anything that can stop us yearning for more aperture or better eyepieces, the only thing stopping me from upgrading is the lack of available cash and the sensible realisation that a bigger 'scope may not be used as much as the one I have at the moment.

Trouble is I can't find a lighter with a red flame! :o

PMSL - i never thought of that, i will just have to shut my eyes and guide the lighter to the end until it is lit :( i will look stupid if someone observes me trying to light up what with eyes closed and lighter moving in all directions whilst i am puffing to get it lit.

@Si - wow £200 a month that can soon mount up to some good bits of kit, i suppose it's only once you have quit and you put the money aside that you realise how much it was costing you.

Well Done!

PMSL - i never thought of that, i will just have to shut my eyes and guide the lighter to the end until it is lit :o i will look stupid if someone observes me trying to light up what with eyes closed and lighter moving in all directions whilst i am puffing to get it lit.

@Si - wow £200 a month that can soon mount up to some good bits of kit, i suppose it's only once you have quit and you put the money aside that you realise how much it was costing you.

Well Done!

Thanks Mate, dont get me wrong it was hard work, and i still get the urge, but it is mind over matter.

Haha very good. Its true though. Lighters ruin your dark adapted eyes.

I have found a solution! First place the tip of the cigarette in the area the flame will appear.. Then close your eyes, light and suck and hope for the best! Sometimes takes an attempt or two but seems to do the trick :o

P.s. Haha! I didn't read down far enough! Looks like GazofCorra has the same trick! To be fair my tobacco costs are down to about £6 a week with rollups, still.. £24 a month.. £288 a year, Hmmmm.. I could afford the Heritage 130p in 6 months that way...

I know how hard it is to quit mate as i have tried it a couple of times, take it one day at a time and if you give in you just try again...

Look at me preaching, but honestly i am all in to supporting others who try and give up :o as i know how hard it is.

Anyway once you have bought all your goodies you can start again :( i'm off for a smoke :)

I have found a solution! First place the tip of the cigarette in the area the flame will appear.. Then close your eyes, light and suck and hope for the best! Sometimes takes an attempt or two but seems to do the trick :)

P.s. Haha! I didn't read down far enough! Looks like GazofCorra has the same trick! ...

Haha great minds think a like :o

I'm on tabacco too and i likes a smoke, keeps me calm, when i did quit i was evil, everyone was saying "go on Gaz Have a fag" :(

Solution to a red cigarette lighter!

Car cigarette lighter as it just glows red. I am sure you can one from Halfords.

Not that I am condoning smoking you understand!

Regards

Chris

I'm saving for one of each type, just to be on the safe side.

My obsy is currently home to a borrowed MN190, a C9.25, an f4 imaging Newt, Borg 77ED, Vixen A80, PST. I am coveting Peter Shah's AG12, and the various FSQ Takahashi tubes that some members have, really want to add a Baby Q and 106 to my stable, and eventually a 20" RC astrograph. By the time I can afford those I will be approx 137 years old, by which time I have no doubt there will be some futuristic magic must have OTA available, and so it goes on forever.....

By the time I can afford those I will be approx 137 years old, by which time I have no doubt there will be some futuristic magic must have OTA available, and so it goes on forever.....

By that time it'll be the 2 metre scope with a segmented mirror that folds up and fits into the boot of your car. :o

John

Archived